Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maths puzzle book for 9yr old ds

(18 Posts)
taptonaria27 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:10:04

My ds is 9, he loves all number puzzles especially the quick arithmetic ones in the Daily Mail for example but also sudoku.
I'm looking for a book of puzzles but think the kids ones look too easy and the others I found on Amazon are Mensa - I don't want to dishearten him!
Does anyone have any recommendations please?

irvineoneohone Sat 15-Apr-17 20:31:01

Not a book, but how about these?

nrich.maths.org/public/search.php?search=puzzle

wild.maths.org/search/node/puzzle

www.khanacademy.org/math/math-for-fun-and-glory/puzzles

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 15-Apr-17 20:36:35

It's logic rather than numbers but he might well enjoy What Is The Name Of This Book? by Raymond Smullyan. My 10yo ds loves it and dh (a maths prof) says it is the kind of book that mathematicians enjoy.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 15-Apr-17 20:39:09

The Moscow Puzzles might also be worth a try.

irvineoneohone Sat 15-Apr-17 23:54:40

And this one.

www.kenkenpuzzle.com/

MiaowTheCat Fri 21-Apr-17 19:51:07

It's a very old numeracy strategy publication - but some of the older year group puzzles from this might be of interest to him www.egfl.org.uk/sites/default/files/maths%20puzzles%20all.pdf

(Just skip through the edu-waffle bits at the front as it's a PDF of a nicely spiral bound Govt publication) It's one I used to use a lot when I was doing supply teaching and home tutoring.

CrazedZombie Sat 29-Apr-17 16:34:56

Check out the magazine section at the supermarket. There's lots of puzzle mags - some are aimed at kids but no reason why he couldn't get an adult one.

taptonaria27 Tue 02-May-17 22:44:54

Thanks for these suggestions.
He does enjoy the puzzler type mags as he likes sudoku and crosswords too.
I haven't looked at the websites yet but will check Amazon for some of the books next.
I appreciate the replies, thank you as it's not a "problem" I share amongst friends!

TheDonald Tue 02-May-17 22:48:16

My dd enjoyed The Number Devil at that age. Not a puzzle book exactly but would appeal to a maths lover!

Pollaidh Tue 02-May-17 22:49:48

Not a book, but our DC have all come home from school with doodlemaths app accounts and love it. It's an educational maths app that has won the Prince's Award, I think.

Zhx3 Tue 02-May-17 22:52:02

Hi OP,

I use this sometimes with my KS3 classes:

spear-johnson.wikispaces.com/file/view/amazing%20math%20puzzles%20and%20mazes.pdf

Neolara Tue 02-May-17 22:53:59

Has he seen This is not a maths book?

taptonaria27 Thu 04-May-17 11:41:28

That looks great Neolara, I've just ordered it though he's far less keen to our own to paper so we'll have to make an effort to ensure he does it I think.
I've ordered a couple of the other books and Downloaded the kenken app though he enjoyed it for half an hour then played other stuff on the iPad instead - mostly Yahtzee which I figure is ok

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 08-May-17 19:59:24

thanks for the Number Devil suggestion, I ordered it for DD and she loved it.

Enb76 Wed 10-May-17 12:00:34

My daughter (8) is loving Alex Bellos' Can you solve my Problems? Which are all logic puzzles but is not a children's book per se - she also likes Murderous Maths which are done by the same people as Horrible Histories.

Someone bought her the Bond non-verbal reasoning 11+ workbooks as well and she loves those too.

MrsPatmore Tue 30-May-17 19:18:04

Primary maths challenge and UKMT papers? Lots of samples on the websites

ProfessorLayton1 Tue 20-Jun-17 23:43:22

Marking place..thanks for all the suggestions. Been looking for similar advice

purplegreen99 Tue 11-Jul-17 10:16:12

A bit late to reply... but might be worth having a look at 11+ workbooks. My ds really enjoyed the non-verbal reasoning and number puzzle books he did for 11+. Shops like Waterstones and WH Smith have a good range of these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now