Talk

Advanced search

G&T Toddler

(80 Posts)
ElectronicDischarge Mon 06-Mar-17 20:05:39

Dad is Mensa. I'm 99.9 club.

And our child seems horrifically clever. She's almost 18 months, talking in full sentences, able to count to 10. Also strangely musical and dancing

Not really sure how to deal. Very proud but wanting to support her too.

I know she's very young and may not be gifted, just early development.

Haudyerwheesht Mon 06-Mar-17 20:07:21

I wouldn't do anything. She might be gifted, she might not. She's only a baby.

Fwiw ds was just as you describe. He isn't G&T

mamakoukla Mon 06-Mar-17 20:08:53

Sorry for my whoopsie - misread and was wondering what a gin and tonic toddler was... Then noticed the section heading....

SilverdaleGlen Mon 06-Mar-17 20:10:15

Really? grin

highinthesky Mon 06-Mar-17 20:12:49

She's undoubtedly bright, as is mine. I've got no intention of measuring her IQ though, because at the end of the day....who cares?

Being bright isn't the be all and end all, in fact rating this too highly caused me social problems. I had to learn a lot of things re: getting on with people the hard way.

ElectronicDischarge Mon 06-Mar-17 20:19:39

Mmm. Gin and tonic, please!

I'm just wondering if there's anything extra we could offer her in terms of development.

I understand, far too well, that being bright isn't the best. I just want her to be awesome but not hot housed

LapinR0se Mon 06-Mar-17 20:21:39

oh god. Leave the poor child alone

greenfolder Mon 06-Mar-17 20:26:26

Maybe reflect on your own childhood.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 06-Mar-17 20:26:33

Listen to her, answer her questions, give her your undivided attention regularly, let her follow her interests, take her to interesting places, don't neglect social skills.

ElectronicDischarge Mon 06-Mar-17 20:44:02

Lapin. I'm not hot housing or demanding she does anything. She's a normal angry toddler at times. She just happens to be advanced!
GreenFolder. I never want to consider my childhood. I developed despite of my life.
Appreciate the advice. Thank you

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 06-Mar-17 20:49:40

Maybe start with a simple musical instrument and channel her musicality?

ElectronicDischarge Mon 06-Mar-17 20:54:35

She's already strumming a ukele and a keyboard in time with her favourite songs. DH is hoping to teach her guitar. I have no idea

NapQueen Mon 06-Mar-17 21:00:31

I remember dd strumming her little guitar and humming (perfectly) the theme to Coronation Street. Spoke like yours. Excellent memory so picked up counting rote, colours, shapes etc quickly.

Turns out shes just a normal kid who likes to pick her nose (and occasionally eat it), find worms and mixes up her b's and d's when writing.

Still fab memory and a penchant for learning. But not g&t.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 06-Mar-17 21:02:07

What is 99.9 club??

I am trying to remember DS at eighteen months - I'm sure the counting and the speaking in sentences were there by then - is that horrifically advanced?

I don't think we did anything with him that any parent wouldn't do: read him stories, took him places, talked to him, watched endless episodes of Scooby Doo. They just grow and learn stuff and you support them and see how it turns out. What is it that you have to "deal" with that you're not sure about?

ElectronicDischarge Mon 06-Mar-17 21:10:29

99.9 is known as triple 9 society.

NapQueen Mon 06-Mar-17 21:11:21

Which is.....

ElectronicDischarge Mon 06-Mar-17 21:15:48

Without wanting to sound like a twat. Very clever. Google it

NapQueen Mon 06-Mar-17 21:16:50

Nah y'alright. I'll probably not get it. What with being not a genius.

PerpetualStudent Mon 06-Mar-17 21:18:37

Then I'm sure you'll think of something grin

Blueemeraldagain Mon 06-Mar-17 21:22:16

This won't sound kind but I do mean it kindly: focus on ensuring your daughter develops good social skills. I don't think you mean to but you aren't coming across awfully well.

I went to school with lots of very, very clever children and many were very unhappy due, in part, to poor social skills.

Viserion Mon 06-Mar-17 21:23:17

Threads in this section about very young and apparently bright kids never go well. Everyone rushes to piss on the OP's chips. It always stinks of envy.

By 18m neither of my DS spoke more than a few words and certainly couldn't count (and actually know they were numbers rather than a list of words)

ElectronicDischarge Mon 06-Mar-17 21:23:43

Really not wanting to be an arse.
But she's clever (and I am too).

And I'd really like to work out a way to help a toddler learn and develop.
Just because the parents are clever, it doesn't really mean a thing

I have no idea how to cope with clever children and genuinely would appreciate help

GotToGetMyFingerOut Mon 06-Mar-17 21:27:57

Sorry op, but counting to ten and speaking in sentences isn't horrifically talented. All of mine could do it.

However if I were you I'd just start by teaching her shapes, colours, numbers, alphabet. Start letting her learn to hold a pencil properly and then you can teach her how to write her name etc. Lots of reading together and using your finger to point out the words as you say them. So she starts to recognise words etc.

What groups do you take her to? I'd just let her have lots of fun too and she will less the way learning at her own pace.

reallyanotherone Mon 06-Mar-17 21:28:07

Even if she is genius, you're still better off treating her like a normal child. Take her to the park, the library, the cafe. Teach her what normal is. Teach her that things don't always come easy, sometimes she'll fail and need to try again.

Being g&t is not easy.

GallivantingWildebeest Mon 06-Mar-17 21:28:39

That's funny if you google 99.9, you come up with a homeless Society in London, Radio Norwich and valour other radio stations. The Triple 9Aociety is different. (Boy, they could do with someone editing their website!)

But, hey, you and dh are academically gifted. Can't you google to see how you could help your G&T DC? confused

Your DC doesn't sound 'horrifically clever' btw. I was talking in sentences by 12 months.

But the important thing is to make sure your DC have the opportunity to use their creativity - thy will learn loads of stuff at school, but creativity can't be taught.

Keep everything fun. Don't hot house them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now