Talk

Advanced search

Number obsessed toddler

(15 Posts)
Njhunter2188 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:51:36

My little boy is 2 years 5 months. I am a stay at home mum so he does not go to nursery however goes to play group once a week.
Friends and family keep commenting on how advanced he is.
He started talking at about the average age however his speech developed very quickly and now he can say full sentences and can pretty much repeat anything you say to him.
Recently he has really become interested in numbers and now he has gotten to the stage he can identify any number within the hundreds. I wasn't sure if he just had a good memory so to check his understanding I asked him to make the number e.g 295 with number magnets and he can do this as well.
He now keeps asking about numbers in the thousands so he is constantly wanting to learn new things.
I am worried though that once he goes to nursery and reception will he become bored and therefore frustrated. Has anyone else had this issue where their children have become bored at school. I'm also worried I teach him things in a different way to the way the school would and therefore confuse him.
Was just after some general advice and thoughts on this

irvineoneohone Wed 11-Jan-17 22:22:31

My ds was number obsessed toddler too.
I fed him what he wanted, and he is still loving maths in yr4.
He loved number magnets, abacus, pizza model(fraction), tangram, zigsaw puzzles, dot to dot, colour by numbers, making 3d shape models, maze etc.

catkind Wed 11-Jan-17 23:41:25

My little one likes numbers, though not quite that young. As far as she's concerned nursery and school so far (reception) didn't really contain maths, it just falls below her radar. She's not bored though - it's always presented as some kind of game, not sitting down working. It's just a game that happens to have some numbers or shapes in as far as DD's concerned.

In reception she does get the odd differentiated task which she loves, and she carries on learning at home anyway.

So it's not nursery or reception I'd worry about, but maybe year 1+ where they spend more time sitting down and doing "work". At that point it really depends how good the school in general and that teacher in particular are at creative differentiation. (Or if your DS is by then happy to whizz through the school work then invent his own numerical entertainment.)

I wouldn't worry about teaching things the wrong way at all. Sounds like your DS will be bright enough to easily see how the different methods fit together. They teach lots of different methods in school these days anyway, it's all about really understanding what you're doing, not just being able to run through a rote method.

user1476527701 Wed 08-Feb-17 06:57:46

Sounds like my son at that age. Nursery and reception were fine, year one was where it all started to go wrong but that's another story.

JustRichmal Wed 08-Feb-17 10:03:28

At that age I played lots of maths games with dd:
I adapted the games as her understanding grew . This also lead on to showing her how sums are written down.
When out we would count steps or swing pushes.
She also did the preschool maths books from Wilkos.

Yes, she did get bored in maths lessons from about year 2 on. I ended up home schooling. You have to make a decision as a parent whether to not teach at home or have a child who will not be catered for at school. At the moment there is no provision for children who are far ahead at primary. If you do teach, you will become sick of enthusiastically proffered word "differentiation", which may now have been replaced by the equally catchy "mastery", as it dawns on you just how inadequate such provision is.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 08-Feb-17 13:12:56

Not this but my child was obsessed with numbers in terms of addition and subtraction from a young age. At three he could do basic addition and a lot of it was self taught.
He started reception in September and we only got first homework for maths this week and it was a different sheet than the one on the newsletter sheet. A lot of what they are doing in reception he did one or two years ago like ordering numbers 1-10 or single digit addition and I am glad he is hitting his targets but he is also getting bored.
He has also come home doing times tables out loud this year as well as doubling and halving numbers and not sure if he has learnt that in school or working it out himself.
I think though that our school wants to get outstanding in ofsted though so may be stretching the more able students, which is good, but he does say he is bored in maths in school sometimes.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 08-Feb-17 13:14:41

Plus I have also have to put him onto year one on here:
www.busythings.co.uk
As he likes to play on there and it was a suggestion from school to help children with school work.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 08-Feb-17 13:18:38

Tbh though I thought everything my son could do mathematically was normal at three as he's an only child and his cousins are similar. blush

JustRichmal Wed 08-Feb-17 15:16:09

Tomorrow, does he do the computer learning just at home or does he do it at school as well?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 08-Feb-17 15:36:08

Just at home I think, although he does use computers at school,, and just when he chooses. We got it for the phonics but he likes the maths too.

JustRichmal Wed 08-Feb-17 16:35:47

One of the problems with their being taught maths ahead of their year at home is that the gap tends to widen. It would be great if the school were to allow him to do computer learning at school if this does happen.

I have started another thread questioning what would help those who are far ahead compared to the rest of the class. Allowing them to learn at their own pace in class from a computer package designed to teach them seems obvious to me. It would be preferable to the five hours boredom each week dd had to endure.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 08-Feb-17 16:46:37

Tbf I had wrote this before he came home today. Not sure why he came home with a picture of mathematical symbols that he had drawn at school. His teacher is fab and differentiating already so I do trust her somewhat.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 08-Feb-17 16:48:35

I am worried for future though as both his father and I were bored in maths lessons at school.
My DS is definitely more intelligent than we are though.

NennyNooNoo Wed 08-Feb-17 17:10:25

What is he like socially with other children? My DS was a bit like this - obsessed with numbers and letters - he was writing out the alphabet always in order, sometimes reverse order well before his 3rd birthday, and reading fluently by his 4th. He struggles in other areas though e.g. Peer group interaction, self-care and some problems with physical coordination and has been diagnosed with ASD.

Talking in complete sentences at nearly 2.5 is good but not especially unusual, although I would say that the better talkers are usually girls.

They do lots of activities at nursery - stories, crafts, outdoor play, as well as plenty of free play so I wouldn't think he would be bored if he enjoys those sorts of things.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Thu 09-Feb-17 09:52:29

I think in terms of sentences it is also the words used and using more complex words in correct context too that marks out something unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now