Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Scholarship interview - what to expect?

(6 Posts)
jelliebelly Mon 09-Jan-17 20:43:15

Ds(11) attends our local Prep school and has been invited to sit scholarship exams next Saturday for potential yr7 scholarship (he is considered by school to be G&T).

Practice papers sent home seem ok but if successful in the exams he will be asked to an interview the following week - any thoughts on the type of questions he is likely to be asked? I don't intend to drill him but I'd like him to have some idea what to expect.

hesterton Mon 09-Jan-17 20:50:34

It will vary hugely from.school to shool, year to year. You can't really prep him for this vit except to remind him that he should listen carefully to the questions he is asked, and if he needs it, take a couple of seconds pause to consider how he wants to answer. He can ask them to repeat the question if he's not sure what they said, or to explain the question in more detail if he needs that a because he feels stuck. And remind him to be himself - enthusiastic about the things he loves.

Another strategy which might help is if he has answered a question and they seem to want more, try and develop the answer with more detail.

He could also make sure he remembers the name and author of a great book he has read recently and be prepared to talk about it.

I hope it goes well!

jelliebelly Mon 09-Jan-17 20:53:21

Thanks Hesterton - he's quite confident so should be able to handle it but I hate not knowing what to expect ( my problem more than ds I suspect!). Great suggestion about the book

hesterton Mon 09-Jan-17 20:57:45

Perhaps another thing you could practice is how to argue something he believes in, to listen to counter arguments and probe them before breaking them down. So, questioning back and concluding. You could practice on something like wearing school uniforms - right or wrong, with you taking one stance.

But only if he gets that he may not even be asked to defend a position!

hesterton Mon 09-Jan-17 21:01:42

So e.g, if he the subject of his love for cricket comes up and interviewer says, "I don't think we have any chance of winning the ashes this year, do you?"
He pauses and considers and responds...
"There are two reasons why I don't agree with that. Firstly... and also... "

jelliebelly Mon 09-Jan-17 21:05:29

I like that approach thanks Hesterton definitely food for thought

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now