Talk

Advanced search

Just leaving pre school and dd is performing g "way above expectations with numbers"

(9 Posts)
limon Wed 27-Jul-16 10:07:31

No idea if this means she is gifted and talented but I thought this would be a good place to ask how I can encourage and support her (I have dyscalculia).

irvineoneohone Wed 27-Jul-16 12:34:25

Need more detail, what can she do?

My ds is/was gifted in maths, he knew all the times tables and was able to do division , was able to recognize and say numbers to 10,000 in English, 100 in other language, and 1000 in another. mentally do +,- x, and / easily when started school.

To encourage my ds, we just followed his interest.
There are so many great online resources, I just needed little bit of research to find what he wanted to do/learn. He loved doing workbooks too. Also he loved learning to code as well.

limon Wed 27-Jul-16 13:02:56

They haven't given me any detail they mentioned she was "very strong" in maths and her end of year report said "is performing well above expectations for nursery". She can do simple extractions, countup to 100 - and gets the idea on adding and subtracting as a concept (we haven't taught her that). She also estimates well. I'll ask at the beginningof term what they mean and how we can support her.

limon Wed 27-Jul-16 13:04:10

I'm pretty certain she's not at the level your son was at! Maybe just particularly good at maths. smile

Passthecake30 Wed 27-Jul-16 13:07:22

If she enjoys doing it, that's fab. I'd move her on to number bonds to 10 if she doesn't know them already( 1 and 9, 2 and 8 etc), and the 2, 5 and 10 times table. And show her how to use a number line/square, and then wait for term to start...

irvineoneohone Wed 27-Jul-16 13:18:34

We didn't particularly teach him on purpose, but we responded to my ds's interests.
Bought times table poster when he wanted it, bought abacus, fraction toys, etc. At this age, everything seems to be fun for him.

Now you know she is good with numbers, you can include number fun for everyday life to encourage her. Counting, adding, subtracting sharing sweets, counting in 2's with lego, recognizing and adding up house numbers, realising even numbered house on one side and odd on the other, etc.

Raising able child is fun, but tiring as well. So, good luck.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 27-Jul-16 14:37:17

I had the same with DD in nursery. I did nothing specific we just continued to play card games, board games and baked all of which really support numeracy. DD has just come to the end of year 7 we continue to play board games, think about maths in real life ( we went racing the other night - betting odds etc.). She is identified G&T at school across all subjects with Maths one of her strongest subjects.

limon Wed 27-Jul-16 16:48:20

We've counted - forwards and backwards and in English and Welsh since she was small and loi t out ipportu ities to use number skills whenever they arise. She loves it. She's been very quick to learn to recognise single numbers and has been curious about adding up and about tens, twenties etc for a while.

JustRichmal Thu 28-Jul-16 08:26:55

I used to play maths type games with dd and also got the brightly coloured workbooks from Wilkos. You can use counters of any kind to do adding or subtracting. One such game was put out a few counters, get her to close her eyes, then take some away. She has to guess how many have gone. But there are lots such games you can make up. Getting a teddy to join in also makes it fun. Dd loved playing shop.
Also, do not be put off by your dyscalculia. Much of maths is not about arithmetic. Symmetry, shape, pattern recognition are all part of maths. Eg, How many different folds can she make in a square (or any other shape) so one half fits on top of the other.
You could see if she likes Kahn Academy. If you sign up its free and this will automatically set work to her level.
Senteacher has some good cut out recourses on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now