Talk

Advanced search

WWYD?

(15 Posts)
BathshebaDarkstone Tue 15-Mar-16 10:13:32

If your DC was the most intelligent in the class (not a stealth boast, just a fact) and he/she said that his/her friends always asked him/her the answers to questions rather than his/her teacher, and that he/she found it frustrating?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 15-Mar-16 10:26:53

teach him how to give hints rather than answers.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 15-Mar-16 10:28:07

Thanks BadKitten, that might just work!

AnnaMarlowe Tue 15-Mar-16 10:28:44

Raise it with the teacher.

Role play with the child to work out some polite rebuffs.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 15-Mar-16 10:40:35

Thanks Anna, I thought I might have to raise it with the teacher, and we'll try some role play. smile

BertPuttocks Tue 15-Mar-16 10:46:57

I would speak to the teacher.

If other children are always talking to your child then it must be very distracting for them.

It's also useful for the teacher to know that the other children aren't doing the work by themselves. They may think that the child with the correct answers has fully understood the work/topic when in fact they've just been writing down what Darkstone Jr has said.

Good luck.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 15-Mar-16 10:50:33

Thanks Bert, your NN made me laugh out loud, by the way! grin

BertPuttocks Tue 15-Mar-16 11:12:31

grin

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Mar-16 11:24:55

DC have had this. Meaning they couldn't finish own work or just felt hassled.
They had to learn to say no, but it's not easy skill. Kids are typically blunt & have to be blunt: "No! I'm not telling you. Work it out for yourself!"

I persuaded them that it's good for them (or anyone) to work out answer for selves. Or more politely, "Let me finish my own work first."

teeththief Tue 15-Mar-16 11:32:57

Definitely have a word with the teacher.

My DS had this problem and ended up just showing his answers to whoever asked. My concern was the teacher would think those children knew what they were doing when in fact they didn't.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 15-Mar-16 17:56:36

Thanks so much everyone! I'll definitely talk to the teacher tomorrow and DD's read the replies too. smile

BathshebaDarkstone Wed 16-Mar-16 09:38:10

I spoke to the teacher this morning, she's aware of the problem re: DD and another boy who's also highly intelligent, she's told the class to try and work it out for themselves first. We'll see how it goes.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 16-Mar-16 09:43:50

I suspect it may be a topic you will need to review regularly.

BathshebaDarkstone Wed 16-Mar-16 11:05:59

Probably.

I had this problem in secondary school, I "got" algebra and my friend didn't, I'd spend the whole lesson helping her and wouldn't finish my own work. I can't remember how it was resolved though. sad

Wonderfulworcestershirelady Sun 08-May-16 21:15:01

My DS had a friend who used to ask him for help during spelling tests. DS got fed up and started to give him the wrong spelling. He solved the problem himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now