Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for educational apps on android for a gifted 5.7 yo please

(19 Posts)
AllyourGreens Tue 02-Feb-16 07:45:06

My soon- to- be 6 year old reads lots and loves quiz/ puzzle type books but am after something digital, fun and progressive (he loves succeeding and getting to 'the next level') Anything suitable in the realms of maths, literacy, comprehension and problem solving would please him.smile
TIA

opioneers Tue 02-Feb-16 13:41:31

All the Squeebles apps for maths are great. Also look at Dragonbox 5+ for logic/maths - that's probably my favourite of all and fits your brief best.

And what about coding apps like Move The Turtle (I think that's what it's called). And, not on Android, but there are some great coding games on code.org too.

opioneers Tue 02-Feb-16 13:41:50

All the Squeebles apps for maths are great. Also look at Dragonbox 5+ for logic/maths - that's probably my favourite of all and fits your brief best.

And what about coding apps like Move The Turtle (I think that's what it's called). And, not on Android, but there are some great coding games on code.org too.

namechangingagainagain Tue 02-Feb-16 13:48:57

ditto dragonbox 5+ and then 12+.
All my children enjoyed this but ds2 LOVED both of these, did the 12+ one aged about 6/7 years I think (he's quite good at maths but not really G or T).

AllyourGreens Tue 02-Feb-16 14:10:31

opioneers and namechangingagainagain flowers . I'll down load those you recommend this evening.

Anything on the literacy front? I should have mentioned we also have a PC.

irvine101 Tue 02-Feb-16 14:58:12

www.readtheory.org/

pobble365.com/

irvine101 Tue 02-Feb-16 15:04:48

www.funenglishgames.com/

bigbrownbear.co.uk/

mrnussbaum.com/langcode/

irvine101 Tue 02-Feb-16 16:25:36

gws.ala.org/

AllyourGreens Wed 03-Feb-16 00:38:56

Gosh irvine thank you flowers

tricot39 Sat 06-Feb-16 19:45:09

Doodle maths

TheCunkOfPhilomena Tue 09-Feb-16 06:44:38

I really recommend Khan Academy online, it has everything and goes at your child's pace and level.

mrsmortis Tue 09-Feb-16 13:09:13

Does it need to be free? Or are you willing to pay? My DD started using ReadingExpress in Y1. She got the subscription through school (Her classmates were doing ReadingEggs but ReadingExpress is the same subscription so we used that instead). We've found it really good for making sure her comprehension is as good as her decoding.

AllyourGreens Mon 15-Feb-16 12:26:07

Just came to report that ds1 loves Dragon box and ds2 3.5 yo is also making sure that he gets a go as it is so child friendly!

Thank you so much for all the ideas everyone, please keep them coming if you think of any others. (I am looking at each and every one of them) I don't particularly want to spend a fortune but the apps certainly don't have to be free smile

irvine101 Mon 15-Feb-16 12:38:28

I would recommend Khan as well.(Maths and computer programming are fantastic.) and

nrich.maths.org/frontpage

wild.maths.org/

irvine101 Mon 15-Feb-16 12:46:59

centerforgamescience.org/games/

This is the site which made dragon box. Tree fog treasure was my ds's favourite.

AllyourGreens Wed 08-Jun-16 06:07:02

Hi everyone, DS has been looking at geography of late which has triggered an interest in learning a foreign language. Can anyone point me in the best direction for that ? Whether Apps, websites or other resources I would appreciate your specific recommendations. Thank you!

irvineoneohone Wed 08-Jun-16 13:54:31

www.duolingo.com/

www.memrise.com/

AllyourGreens Wed 08-Jun-16 17:32:56

Irvine, you're a star flowers

Thewolfsjustapuppy Wed 08-Jun-16 22:35:36

DS who is 6 absolutely love duo lingo we have it as an app. He is learning Irish and Spanish for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now