Talk

Advanced search

maths book recommendations

(14 Posts)
redclover79 Tue 08-Dec-15 12:36:12

DD is bored at school. I had hoped when she moved into KS2 this year she would find the work a bit more interesting but unfortunately the school won't teach her beyond the year 3 curriculum.

She has the Maths Quest books but has got stuck as she doesn't know the theory behind some of the questions. Likewise when she does IXL. Is there such a thing as a text book aimed at kids that she can look through to explain how to multiply fractions for example? I'm specifically looking for a book rather than something online as we only have one laptop between 5 and I'd like her to have something she can pick up when questions arise rather than having to queue up behind the eldest doing his homework!

Thanks smile

mrsmortis Tue 08-Dec-15 12:50:34

How good is her reading? Is she as far ahead at that as she is at maths? Most of the books with harder maths also assume a higher level of English.

I can't help with a reference text book type book. But if you are interested in stretching her, have a look at Murderous maths books. She may not be able to do them on her own but my DD and I are working through them together. There are some concepts that she hasn't been taught yet (decimals for example) but with a bit of support from me she's enjoying them. If you can find the right one for the topic that you are discussing then it will take you through the basics. But most of the ones that I have seen assume more knowledge.

There is also a story book about maths theory called the number devil which she might like.

irvine101 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:06:55

I don't know any text books, but on IXL, if she makes mistakes, it should explain how to work out the problem on the screen.

We normally do new stuff online now, but he used to use KS2 Sats revision guide to learn new stuff. Also we used maths dictionary for reference.

redclover79 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:08:37

Her reading is way ahead of where they test them to as well... That's easier to deal with at least!

I will have a look at murderous maths, thanks! It sounds as though they might be more appropriate for her. She's been looking over her brother's shoulder (yr 7) which is how she found out about fractions and so on, but I need to divert her away from his homework so she doesn't start correcting/annoying him!

redclover79 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:15:16

Thanks irvine smile We have IXL but she's got a little bored of it lately - she finds it frustrating because the questions are way ahead of where she's being taught so often she doesn't know how to answer and gets a bit despondent.

I'm really looking for a book she can look through independently as her middle brother has a lot of issues and I tend to spend a lot of time managing his behaviour. I spend time with her talking about space and science stuff but I often can't answer her maths questions (I can't often remember how to do long division without notes!) - I will have a look at maths dictionaries too.

irvine101 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:29:46

I know you are not keen on online stuff, but if she wants to learn advanced stuff herself, I really recommend

www.khanacademy.org/

This site has tutorial video for all the maths skills, and quiz to practice, and it's free. Also covers computing, science, history etc.

irvine101 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:47:44

It's not a text book, but I also recommend Schofield&Sims Understanding Maths work book series.

It's divided into different topics ( fraction, decimals& percentage, geometry etc., total of 9 books.) and have a explanation section before activities.

redclover79 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:48:14

Just having a look at khanacademy now - thanks!

Flavs07 Wed 09-Dec-15 22:32:27

We like Math for the Gifted Student.

redclover79 Fri 11-Dec-15 10:58:42

thanks irvine101 and Flavs07 - added to the basket ;)

Murderous Maths arrived today so dd has taken one in to school to read when she finishes her work smile

She has also done some stuff on khanacademy - a productive week!

ninja Fri 11-Dec-15 11:05:47

There is probably other stuff that she can be doing rather than just accelerating through more and more maths which will just cause issues in future years.

She's probably better off try to find some problem solving activities to stretch her -

It's worth looking at things such as the Primary Maths Challenge (http://www.primarymathschallenge.org.uk/downloads) for more puzzle type activities - although I suspect there'd be concepts she hasn't covered yet - this kind of problem should make her think.

RueDeWakening Mon 18-Jan-16 23:10:26

Might not teach her anything new, but This is Not a Maths Book is good - DD had it when she was 7 and really enjoyed it.

Lurkedforever1 Mon 18-Jan-16 23:17:11

What about the study guides for the 11+ or sats if you're looking for ones with explanations and examples of concepts?

Tholeonagain Fri 19-Feb-16 20:41:55

The Usborne junior maths dictionary is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now