Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for good toys for bathroom play

(10 Posts)
fuffapster Mon 07-Dec-15 03:09:51

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any toys that include measuring and educational aspects related to water flow, physics etc?

Our ds1 (5.5yrs) and ds2 (3.5yrs) love playing with cups etc. in the bathroom.

What got me thinking about this was:
1. Learning numbers and measurement can easily be fun - but the numbers should be big/child friendly etc.
2. The Pascal water column thing could be fun (when the level is always the same with different shape connected columns).

The best I've found so far is a couple of water pumps from Aquaplay - e.g. this one (educational because the mechanism can be seen): www.aquaplay.com/en/products/extensions-expand-and-rebuild/water-pump-341/

Any ideas? Thanks smile

irvine101 Mon 07-Dec-15 20:18:27

I don't know any toys, but my ds used to play with 3 sets of plastic measuring jugs in the baths. (not the toy one, kitchen use ones. 200ml, 500ml and 1L markings).
Used to play measuring water into larger ones from smaller one, etc.

Also took some ice into the bath and see how it melts was his favourite thing in the past.

Artandco Mon 07-Dec-15 20:20:59

Mine play with science pipettes in the bath and calpol syringes

irvine101 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:05:17

Also used to play with small empty drink bottle with lid.
Fill it up, sink. Half way full, floats. Empty, shoots up from bottom etc.
It can get quite dangerous and messy!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 07-Dec-15 21:10:00

Get a cheap plastic measuring jug and write the numbers on bigger with permanent marker.

irvine101 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:23:29

TheCountessofFitzdotterel, that's genius!!

catkind Tue 08-Dec-15 01:19:29

We got a set of plastic measuring cylinders and a set of kitchen measuring cups after watching all the toddlers at toddler group be hypnotised by filling and emptying them. I like that the measuring cups are in fractions of a cup as well as ml- 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 etc.
Currently also migrated to the bathroom - a plastic measuring jug, some funnels, and a whisk for when they have bubble bath in.

Mostly just £ shop stuff, except the measuring cylinders I got from ebay. This stuff gets much more play than the actual bath toys. The 6 yr old is very interested in the measurements, the 3 yr old just likes pouring and emptying but is still getting ideas about capacity etc.

I like the idea of the water flutes someone gave them for birthdays - you put different amounts of water in to get different notes, like we used to do with glass milk bottles. But don't currently get played with.

fuffapster Tue 08-Dec-15 11:09:43

Thanks for the suggestions.

The measuring cups, funnels, etc sounds useful.

There doesn't seem to be anything out there that is just what I want...

irvine101 Tue 08-Dec-15 11:35:42

It's nothing to do with bath, but you can find some science activity with kids here.

www.sciencebuddies.org/

fuffapster Thu 10-Dec-15 13:21:47

Thanks irvine101, that's an interesting site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now