Talk

Advanced search

Negative vibe from teacher

(9 Posts)
irvine101 Tue 01-Dec-15 19:41:14

I knew this year is different from last year, from the beginning.
I felt like my ds was a burden rather than a joy to teach for this teacher at parents' eve. She is a lovely NQT, but not interested in extending him at all, from the comments she made. All the experienced good teachers leave and seems to be replaced by so many NQTs at our school.

I know some teacher is good at helping less able and some are good at extending able children. I'm just really disappointed. sad

Sorry I just wanted to rant, because I can't in real life...

Alonglongway Tue 01-Dec-15 19:46:55

How old is he?

sharoncarol43 Tue 01-Dec-15 19:49:50

all the experienced teachers are leaving every school in the country, and being replaced by NQTs who last less than 4 years on average.

Best thing you can do is contact your MP and complain about the working conditions of teachers.

var123 Wed 02-Dec-15 16:55:50

Maybe its less won't, and more can't? You know how it is when you are new in a job - its enough to cope with the regular stuff and it takes time to build up to dealing with the more complex stuff.

irvine101 Wed 02-Dec-15 17:09:12

Yes I understand, Var. She is lovely(and I like her), I just think she isn't capable enough yet.

I am just bit sad because it's so much different from last year, the teacher was so excited about his ability, and she's gone.

I feel guilty about posting negativity, but sometimes MN G&T board is the only place I can be truthful.

Ellle Thu 03-Dec-15 13:26:45

Did you have your parent's evening recently? What did the teacher say that made you feel that your DS is a burden rather than a joy to teach?

I'm sorry you are going through a low moment, I always enjoy your posts and seeing what your son is up to. I think he is only a year older than my son, and he seems quite bright from what I've read.

It seems that landing in the right school, with the right teachers for our children is like a lottery, or something to do with luck (not whether the school is outstanding or good or satisfactory or private, state, independent).

I guess there is not much point in me saying try to work with the school, or liase with the teacher and let her know how your DS is feeling, as I'm sure you must have been doing this already.
From what I have seen in here, when parents conclude the school is not going to provide the academic challenge their children need, they regard the school as a place to learn and develop social skills and support the academic side of things at home (which I think is what you are doing).

How is your DS feeling about this year and his teacher? Is he also sad, or not thriving?

I hope things get better in the near future. In the meantime you know you can always count with the expertise of MN and the people at the G&T boards.

throwingpebbles Thu 03-Dec-15 13:36:54

My parents just used to give me lots of extra work to do at home (because I wanted to) in this situation. E.g. Extra work books, lots of stories to read, and I would do all my big brothers spellings and comprehension was exercises etc

catkind Thu 03-Dec-15 14:23:23

Ah irvine, sympathy from here. I'm feeling so fed up and not sure I can even be bothered to engage with school any more. And my possibly gifted one hasn't even started school yet, this is the bright but not particularly far ahead year 2!

irvine101 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:58:32

Ellle , Thank you.

I think this year a lot of teachers left and school feels really different.
At parents' eve, I was shocked about all his maths target, she didn't want to talk about it(She just said he is doing great), and when we saw it at home, place values, times tables etc., the things he can do eyes closed was his target this term. Especially shocked about mental maths, his target was to be able to do 3 digits + 10s, 100s, and 1000s.
Everything was just so wrong. It clearly showed that she doesn't know his ability, or ignoring it. There was nothing to help him extend.

We already had chat with her beginning of year about his maths, so I feel it's no point to make another appointment and talk to her.

He says he is bored with maths he does at school, but he isn't complaining. He knows he can do stuff he likes at home. He isn't so keen on his teacher this year. I asked him why, but he just said he doesn't know. He is kind of smart Alec sometimes, so she may not like him as well and he might sense it. (But that's totally his fault)

He is happy to go to school everyday, so that's good.

Thank you for nice comment. It really made me feel a lot better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now