Talk

Advanced search

Trigonometry

(68 Posts)
irvine101 Sat 14-Nov-15 18:46:11

When do they start learning Trigonometry?

My ds is eager to learn it because he needs it for advanced computer coding, but he hasn't mastered all the basics in maths yet.(he is in YR3, but mostly working on YR6+ curriculum at home.)

I think it's too early, and I can't help him with it because I haven't got a clue. So I have to rely on online tutorials completely. When are they going to be ready? What do they need to master before learning it?

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:10:03

We've just learnt it today but I think she didnt get the whole think yet, thinking of buying a book. We started with the shapes and side last week and she keeps asking questions I ended up starting showing her trigonometry

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:13:40

We have been deep into music since the last 6 weeks and I keep promising her I will sit down with her for maths and english from next months

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:31:10

Just searched on amazon and bought this book, I will leave it to her to read and try herself and see if any questions

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0857756273/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447529346&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=shapes+size+distance

irvine101 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:32:19

I'm a bit confused...I thought trigonometry was about sin, cos, tan?

PenelopePitstops Sat 14-Nov-15 19:34:58

Os this just a boasting post?!

Unless you have spawned a genius he is learning by rote. Make sure he understands what he is doing.

WildStallions Sat 14-Nov-15 19:37:50

What kind of computer programming do you need trig for?

In general you don't need trig for programming. There's plenty and plenty of programming he can do without trig.

ragged Sat 14-Nov-15 19:39:14

A lot of well-paid computer programmers never did trig or even got a Uni degree. confused

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:40:17

Wrong picture hence confusing

Shallishanti Sat 14-Nov-15 19:41:41

also confused....trigonometry is from the dark ages, no?

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:44:31

She had some homework on shapes and size and I bought her few books to read and the questions were carried on to sin, cos tang etc. The below 3 books are very good read I learnt here too

startwig1982 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:44:39

Ummm trig as in the sin, cos, tan formulae is not taught until year 9 of secondary school.
Do you mean just angles in triangles/geometry? That photo is not of trigonometry.

pestilence13610 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:48:49

If you want you child to get ahead at Maths, teach them to do accurate technical drawing. They will have then learnt a niche skill that will allow them to derive trigonometric formula and values from first principles. Teach them to understand and explore rather than route learning.
Geometry rocks grin

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:49:48

I dont think she(they) could understand any of it yet but only mentioned it due to questions after questions. Not planning to teach her any of it only to make her feel excited about things related to shapes and size she could be learning in the future and there are loads of complexed concepts

irvine101 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:50:35

I thought this thread was all about G&T? Sorry it was a genuine question.
sad

Yes I'm worried about him not understanding properly and just jump to the things he isn't ready. That's why I asked what does he need to master before doing it.

www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/programming-natural-simulations/programming-angular-movement/a/angles-and-units

This need it.

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:53:01

@start: I am foreigner and learnt maths in non english language hence understood "broaden" shapes and sizes to trigonometry

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 19:55:24

I remember I had to learn it from yr 5(non uk system) and there was a poem to remember the relationship. I dont plan to teach her new concept(might mention it) only trying to go deeper in cur.

@irvine: do you have any books/materials you use with your ds

Shallishanti Sat 14-Nov-15 19:57:17

that's about using programming to create movement, and that you need to understand geometry to do that
I'm sure there is plenty of simple programming that doesn't require trig.

zzzzz Sat 14-Nov-15 20:04:34

Can he rearrange an equation?

It he can then trig is not going to be a problem at all.

Basic algebra and rearranging equations then toddle into trig

irvine101 Sat 14-Nov-15 20:06:13

yes, Shallishanti.
But he completed all basics of HTML, JS and SQL and for computer mad child, only way is forward.

I don't think he is ready, so I let him learn jQuery first, but he is really willing to learn all those cool programmings.

Greenleave, my ds uses IXL and Khan Academy for Maths, mostly.

zzzzz Sat 14-Nov-15 20:06:27

I'm not convinced you'd need it for programming movement though. At a guess I'd say vectors where more useful and perhaps matrices.

WildStallions Sat 14-Nov-15 20:08:11

This is a good book which he might enjoy: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1937785440/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1447531589&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=javascript+for+kids&dpPl=1&dpID=51Wr6Lmq6wL&ref=plSrch#

NerrSnerr Sat 14-Nov-15 20:08:40

All I remember from trig at school is that Tommy on a ship of his caught a herring.

WildStallions Sat 14-Nov-15 20:09:39

HTML isn't programming.

Start him on a proper programming language like C# Java or ruby.

Greenleave Sat 14-Nov-15 20:11:02

Irvine: ok so I was trying to let her using ipad/computer etc too much so sway from many online resources(mainly because I am not with her during the day so worried she might be into you tube etc too much). If you know any books pls let me know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now