Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Guided Reading

(9 Posts)
Habdab Wed 21-Oct-15 23:39:06

Hi - quite new here so please be nice! I have just returned from parents evening. DS is year one and has been reading fluently for 2 years. His teacher has told me he no longer does guided reading as there is nobody on his level. He really loves guided reading and I emphasised to her that I felt it was important for him still to take part but she didn't seem to agree with me.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it important to continue guided reading at school? We do read every day at home but I remember my DD still taking part in guided reading in Y4 so I can't help feeling that he will miss out if he is stopped from taking part. I wanted to see if anyone had experience of this before taking it further with the school. Thanks.

irvine101 Thu 22-Oct-15 09:04:30

Hi!
My ds was in same situation in YR1 and YR2, but they simply put him in next highest children's group. Books were easy for him, but he actually enjoyed it, I think. He was fluent reader, but needed work on comprehension, so it worked for him.

But if he's not doing it at all, teacher must be thinking about other way to work with him some how?

irvine101 Thu 22-Oct-15 12:52:11

My ds is YR3 now and a lot of children caught up with him, so this year, it's no problem.

Maybe concentrate on other things like comprehension or vocabulary, etc?

Also I've seen comments here that some teacher doesn't use guided reading at all. It may not be such a big deal?

www.readtheory.org/

LittleMissGreen Thu 22-Oct-15 12:57:25

Is he still reading individually with the teacher instead of guided reading? In which case I would say no problem, there is evidence that is better for the child. Or is he not reading at all in which case I would say there is a problem as they need to provide for him at his level.
Our school is fairly free-flow between classrooms for all lessons so children simply go and read in a group that suits them irrespective of their 'school year group', same for maths, phonics etc.

Devonicity Sun 25-Oct-15 15:15:36

Dd1 still does guided reading but has been in a 'group' of one since about half way through YR. I keep hoping others will catch up as I think she would get some good stuff from a group discussion, but it hasn't happened yet (she's Y3). On the other hand, she loves the individual time with her teacher.

irvine101 Sun 25-Oct-15 15:49:26

Is your DD's school a small one, Devonicity ?
My DS used to be way beyond others, but now in year3, number of children become ruby, sapphire+ levels, so not so much difference in terms of text at that level.

Devonicity Sun 25-Oct-15 16:20:01

irvine It's 1FE, so small but not tiny. She hasn't been on levelled books for ages so I've no idea where she is in those terms.

irvine101 Sun 25-Oct-15 16:50:42

I just copied levels from past post, according to non existing past NC levels,
Lime is roughly a NC level 3C
Brown is roughly a NC level 3B
Grey is roughly a NC level 3A/4C
Dark Blue is roughly a NC level 4B/4A
Deep Red is roughly a NC level 5C/5B

So number of children in my DS's school (3FE), is advanced reader. I guess, he was lucky he was in big school.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Tue 27-Oct-15 15:34:58

dd1 and one other child joined a guided reading group in the year above for YR1 and 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now