Advanced search

Misbehaving, "bored" 7 year old (Y2)

(4 Posts)
hillyhilly Mon 19-Jan-15 16:44:00

My DS is a September birthday Y2 boy, He is extremely bright and is on the AGT register for reading and mathematics, although his handwriting is poor - way behind his abilities in other subjects.
His teacher has had a word today as his behaviour has been really poor and when she has spoken to him in detail about it, he has complained that he is bored.
She already extends his work well in reading and maths but today's example was science, what she is saying is that although she knows he is bright and capable and should be working at level 3, they have to gather evidence and the work he is producing is nowhere near that level - this is is a combination of reluctance to write and not engaging.

I have spoken to him about his behaviour but at the same time he should not be bored in class, she is saying that he needs to produce the lower level work to demonstrate that he can do it, before she can move him onto the more taxing and therefore, interesting, stuff.

Advice please?

var123 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:42:03

How far behind is his writing? Is his pen grip normal? (I am thinking about dysgraphia)

taxi4ballet Mon 19-Jan-15 20:13:53

If he's bored and frustrated he won't co-operate. Ask her to give him something taxing and interesting at a higher level, and see if he can do it.

All this evidence-gathering is just daft IMHO.

hillyhilly Mon 19-Jan-15 21:45:26

His grip's ok but he is getting tested for dyspraxia as all his motor skills are poor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now