Talk

Advanced search

Reading schemes for more able younger readers above lime level?

(16 Posts)
weezl74 Sat 17-Jan-15 11:05:25

Hi,

Apart from Oxford All Stars, what reading schemes have books for younger children (ie no distressing/too adult content)? Our school had Oxford All Stars, but DS1 needs higher levels than lime now.

Thanks in advance

lecherslady Sat 17-Jan-15 11:30:12

I don't think there are many, and our school does its own. Many of the books on the scheme are children's novels (Enid Blyton, horrid Henry, Jacqueline Wilson etc..)

But at my DDs school they do lime, grey, orange, blue and then I think burgundy and black. I'm not sure about the last two as we have only got as far as blue!

But that's probably not a lot of help for you is it...?

weezl74 Sat 17-Jan-15 11:32:40

Thanks, it does help as it makes me think I haven't missed something awesome!

I might do what your school does and just 'level' normal books.

lljkk Sat 17-Jan-15 12:06:48

I don't know anything about lime level. But Enid Blyton did loads of short stories that are suitable for precocious early readers. Also, Beatrix Potter stories.

lecherslady Sat 17-Jan-15 12:12:48

Most of DDs friends at other schools seem to become free readers after lime. I think our school is unusual in having a reading scheme for most children right the way throughout.

Our schools says that they assess the books not just on content but also emotional maturity, so some of the Jacqueline Wilson books that are black are there not because they're difficult to read but because of the subject matter, and the school didn't want the children reading them too young.

So my DD is on blue, she's allowed to read some JW books, but not all because some are black.

However, there's no official scheme books like there is before lime, it's just the banding they have given each novel.

I'd say though that David Walliams, Roald Dahl are both suitable for younger readers along with some Michael Morpurgo. Those were the books my DDs enjoyed when little.

lecherslady Sat 17-Jan-15 12:15:58

Enid Blyton is great too. Some of her stuff is great for little ones. For example Amelia Jane is a dead easy book, and my (good but not mensa style reader) easily read it in year 1. There's other less girlie ones too - but some of her stuff is really quite simple to read.

weezl74 Sat 17-Jan-15 12:50:16

thanks both smile

We do have a reading scheme which goes several levels above lime, Pearson's Bugclub, which is great and DS1 reads the non-fiction component of. The content is not suitable for him of the non-fiction ones, alas.

Pearson Bug Club components

weezl74 Sat 17-Jan-15 12:52:24

Lecherslady, what age do you think David Walliams is suitable from?

lecherslady Sat 17-Jan-15 16:24:37

Lots of people seem to say from 7 up. That seems about right to me.

weezl74 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:34:21

DS1 is 5. If anyone has any author/book suggestions I'd be happy to note them!

weezl74 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:35:24

Sorry lecherslady I also meant to say thanks, but hit enter too soon!

diamondage Tue 20-Jan-15 11:34:23

Hi weezl74. You will have better luck posting your last question on the children's books thread.

Also try these links:
GT world reading list
Chapter books for younger kids

Although the second link is ostensibly a list of books to read to younger children it also is a great list for books that young able readers can read to themselves with suitable content to boot.

BadlyWrittenPoem Thu 23-Apr-15 14:43:41

Hi Weezl, I replied to this before but my reply seems to have disappeared. What level is he at now? I'm sure I can give you a few suggestions.

QuiteQuietly Thu 23-Apr-15 16:43:57

I found THIS really useful when I had an early reader. You can search for books by "maturity level" (they call it interest level) and by reading complexity. To work out approximate reading level, search for a few books you already know are appropriate and work out an approximate ATOS or Lexile range. It's only a guide and occasionally is a bit random, but I found it useful for avoiding distressing content/adult themes. I could then reserve library books online and swoop in and collect them.

I would imagine it would also be useful if you had the opposite situation (eg older reader who struggled but didn't want baby-ish books).

FourBlueBlankets Tue 13-Nov-18 11:17:40

Hello smile

I know this is an old thread OP but just wondering if you found anything you can recommend? thanks DC3 (age 4) is at a similar level so it's hard to find suitable books.

TIA x

NellyBarney Thu 15-Nov-18 19:42:30

Oxford Reading Tree and Collins Big Cat go up to level 17 (diamond). My dd school uses them for assessment and guided reading for all children until end of year 3. IMO the books at the higher levels have more varied vocab and more complicated sentence structure than books like Whimpy kids or Secret Seven, that kids would read in their spare time at this stage. The series includes non fiction, more Biff and Chips (this time as time travellers) and abridged or in some cases retold classics like Treasure Island, Wuthering Hights, and Shakespeare classics. Our school has literally hundreds of different books between.lime (level 11,) and diamond (level 17).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »