Talk

Advanced search

Best fun facts book for a bright 11 yo boy

(11 Posts)
NoelleHawthorne Mon 17-Nov-14 09:52:00

we were in a pub with an old Who wants to be a millionaire quiz book, was fun but I think it is out of print..

Have done Guiness etc and he loves this book on the periodic table www.amazon.co.uk/Periodic-Table-Indispensable-Guide-Elements-ebook/dp/B00CUE0DTM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416217902&sr=8-2&keywords=periodic+table

any other facty books yours like?

Hakluyt Mon 17-Nov-14 10:08:00

I don't think you have to be gifted and talented for the Guinness Book of records, do you? grin

Well, not unless you're 2...........

NoelleHawthorne Mon 17-Nov-14 10:11:27

lol -no, but i KNEW someone would suggest it grin

var123 Mon 17-Nov-14 14:15:13

At 11, it wouldn't be the big book of interesting facts, any more, would it??

Wouldn't your DS be on to reading interest specific books? e.g. football facts if its football, some bird reference books if its bird etc. Or a range of books if he has wide interests. So, the answer would depend upon what your DS is interested in.

NoelleHawthorne Mon 17-Nov-14 16:25:23

yes, i think you are right,, what a hassle

var123 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:48:15

I used this website www.booktrust.org.uk/ to find books for DS1 (age 12) in the summer. He wanted fiction and there were some really good ones (He is fussy about what he reads and had already read all the usual recommendations, so I was doubtful I could find anything to feed his appetite as he doesn't like books with swearing).
I see the website also has a non-fiction section. As well as the 9-12 age group, look in the next age group up as there often things there that are suitable.
HTH

NoelleHawthorne Mon 17-Nov-14 22:04:33

thanks VAr great tip

steppemum Mon 17-Nov-14 22:19:29

If he likes facts and is a very good reader, he may be ready for the interesting science books which start with
Why don't penguins feet freeze?

NoelleHawthorne Tue 18-Nov-14 16:42:42

Yup. I got that and hes done it. Great minds!

mrsmortis Mon 24-Nov-14 17:44:19

How about one of the QI books, or the pointless one. My nephew who is 11 loves the QI ones and they are certainly full of fun facts.

Depending on what sort of facts he likes he might also be interested in Schotts Miscellany.

For general non fiction I'd suggest Bill Bryson. All his books are engaging and accessible but full of all sorts of weird facts. You could dive in at the deep end with a brief history of nearly everything if the length of the book wouldn't put him off (at his age I'd've seen it as a challenge, but then I am strange and read War and Peace at 12 because a teacher suggested that I read it as a joke). Or for something shorter I like mother tongue (but beware there is a chapter on swearing).

PolterGoose Sat 06-Dec-14 17:02:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now