Talk

Advanced search

If your DC are in a G&T programme at school, what happens??

(10 Posts)
CocktailQueen Tue 04-Nov-14 13:52:35

DD is in Year 6. Got a letter home from her school last year saying she was G&T in four subjects and listing what they'd do to 'stretch' her. (IMO, she is G&T in 3 of those; the last, she may be in top 10% of class but she is def. not G&T!)

6 months later, and she's had just one meeting with her G&T mentor - who has left and not been replaced. Nothing else has happened. WWYD?? Contact the school or just leave it? Seems a bit pointless...

iggly2 Tue 04-Nov-14 22:44:21

Is she happy and enthusiastic at school? Has she changed her attitude in any way? If she is happy/enthusiastic and working hard I would not worry.

CocktailQueen Tue 04-Nov-14 23:06:23

No, she has been complaining that English - her fav subject - is really dull as their normal teacher is off and the supply teacher isn't differentiating work at all. It's been three weeks now - so the teacher must be ill, and I am sorry about that - but I'd like dd to still be enjoying the subject!

simpson Tue 04-Nov-14 23:37:00

DS (yr5) has just started pull out lessons for L6 work in reading & maths which although DS is pretty fired up about (especially the maths) it is mainly for the school's interests rather than his hmm

Tbh, the school is pretty good sport wise (DS very good at sport too) & he regularly represents the school in county competitions etc but there is less for the academic stuff although he has recently competed in a borough mental maths competition.

DD (yr2) sweet FA tbh sad

BackforGood Tue 04-Nov-14 23:57:03

Not a lot, tbh., but, as iggly2 said - they enjoyed school, and were doing well - there wasn't anything I felt they were missing through being on this list and then not getting anything - it was just another crazy politicians idea that each school had to have a register of G&Ts for a while.

CocktailQueen Wed 05-Nov-14 00:02:37

Ok. I just thought that if they have this list and they're going to the bother of writing to parents about it, they might actually do some of the things they had promised to do - extension activities. Mentoring , etc. maybe not!

Fragglewump Wed 05-Nov-14 00:05:47

If she's year 6 then school will definitely be coaching her to achieve level 6 in her sats this year. Expect after school invitations to booster classes etc. she's still very young and if she's at a small primary/junior then what they class as g and t may change when she gets to secondary. I'm not sure what your worry is. If you want school to do more/do nothing then ask them to do it. I'm sure that her teacher will be differentiating the work......this can be done by outcome as well as task. Even the crappest supply teacher will differentiate each lesson - it may just be not as explicit to the children as she is used to. I think your main focus should perhaps be ensuring she continues to be enthusiastic about English. Can you do this with exciting books at home or a theatre visit?

Snapespotions Wed 05-Nov-14 00:12:29

DD is on a "list", and gets to take part in a regional G&T programme. Basically it means extra homework once a month hmm albeit a bit more interesting and thought-provoking than the normal homework that she gets. The feedback is quite detailed and personalised too, which is nice. I don't think there are any G&T activities during the school day, though they do differentiate quite well generally for higher ability children.

I'm grateful that she gets anything tbh, so not complaining, but I often think that there are other kids in her class who aren't on the "list" who would also benefit from these opportunities - it's a very able cohort and lots of the children probably would be considered G&T in a different school. It's a pity it can't be open to all who are interested, but I guess they wouldn't then have the resource to provide the detailed feedback that they give at present. That would be a loss, as dd finds the feedback really motivating.

CocktailQueen Wed 05-Nov-14 00:14:31

Yup, year 6, and she is already on level 6 in 3 of her g and t subjects - which I'm not fussed about as that's a level for the school and not for dd!

iggly2 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:02:58

If her favourite subject is no longer exciting I would do something. Approach the teacher and say can they sugest something you could do to keep her interest up. This would be a subtle hint that maybe she needs more than she is currently getting at schoolwink

Ds school do lots and he "skips" to his lessons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now