Talk

Advanced search

Just got results from IQ test for DD, trying to find out if she has an spld

(7 Posts)
nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 10-Mar-14 20:47:06

ok DD1 has always had some issues, school said ASD so referred, I said bright and dabrowski's overexcitabilities plus I am pretty sure she is dyslexic and compensating for it.

anyway I have been worried about her so much that we have paid for her to have some tests done privately. She is doing well at school but something just doesn't add up.

so dyslexia test is being done shortly but the WISC results have just been sent through to me (report to follow)

her overall IQ is 130 so very superior,
Verbal Comprehension is 106 (66th centile) average
Perceptional Reasoning is 139 (99.5th centile) very superior
Working Memory is 141 (99.7th centile) very superior
Processing Speed is 109 (73rd centile) average

so this shows a HUGE imbalance between her scores. I am not sure at the moment what this indicates, as I say the lady is going to give me a proper report and discuss it with me next week but at least my theory of dabrowski's overexcitabilities now seems right and I feel I can definitely post on this board now!

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 13-Mar-14 23:26:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 13-Mar-14 23:38:27

thanks for replying. I will get the full report next week but emailed the Psychologist this evening and asked the question of what the scores MIGHT indicate and she came back saying she thinks the lower verbal score could have been DD wanting to give the right answer, she doesn't like guessing and the psychologist did comment on this to me at the time that DD obviously hates getting things wrong. that would tie in with my feelings at the time as I was sure she knew some of the things. She also agrees with my concerns re dyslexia and said that that could be involved and could also be the reason for the processing speed being slower. She did say she hadn't observed anything that would make her think ASD on the 2 occasions she had met DD. I suppose I just have to wait and see what the dyslexia test shows and then if nothing shows up there will have to be patient and wait to see the paed.

I think getting the right school is the important bit isn't it. I do like our school and our kids are happy there, the head seems very good as do the class teachers we have had so far. Until we know quite what the problem is it is hard to know how the school can help.

Justawaterformeplease Thu 13-Mar-14 23:39:30

A difference of 20+ between verbal and non-verbal can be an indication of dyslexia - it's one of the things teachers look out for.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 13-Mar-14 23:52:32

thanks justawater. that is helpful.

moginthedark Fri 14-Mar-14 08:35:13

I don't think the processing speed is of too much concern, as that seems to be quite routinely lower in gifted children, but the gap between verbal and PR is definitely worth looking at.

Have a look at the Potential Plus website, if I remember correctly they have some useful fact sheets on this sort of thing. A google search on 'twice exceptional' and 'stealth dyslexia' might also give you some more pointers too.

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 14-Mar-14 12:01:50

thanks Mog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now