Talk

Advanced search

Is Gifted and Able the same as Gifted and Talented?

(7 Posts)
Misfitless Wed 19-Feb-14 19:29:37

TIA!

(Not like me not to ramble on for paragraph after paragraph!)

Iamnotminterested Wed 19-Feb-14 20:07:07

Why do you ask?

Misfitless Wed 19-Feb-14 21:01:54

Because I'd never heard of Gifted and Able until last week, only Gifted and Talented. Just wondered if they were the same, fundamentally, and just different names for the same thing; or if there is a difference?

If there is a difference, please could you tell me what it is?

I'm going to pm you.

Misfitless Wed 19-Feb-14 21:08:41

Should have name changed.

It's just that it's come to my attention, by chance, that two of my DCs are on a "Gifted and Able" list at school.

The teachers have told me that they are very bright in certain areas, it's just that it's never been mentioned to me or DH in the context of that list.

I should have asked - are you a teacher?

Misfitless Wed 19-Feb-14 21:10:38

Meant to pm that last post, but wasn't paying attention. Don't need to pm you now blush

Au79 Thu 20-Feb-14 11:55:09

These terms are chosen at random afaik. You will need to ask the school what their definition of G and A is to be sure, and ask for their current policy in writing while you're at it-might be helpful.

Our school has abolished G and T and picked out some high achieving students as "Scholars". I think they need to show OFSTED they do something with them to keep their Outstanding status. This is secondary school. for my child it has turned into another burden of extra homework mostly.

Academies can do whatever they like it seems.

EvilTwins Sun 23-Feb-14 15:49:32

G,T&A is the new term for it, AFAIK. We had an INSET about it. I am secondary. "Able" refers to DC starting with us with KS2 SATs of L5 across the board. Gifted and/or talented is subject specific. For me as a teacher it's just another way to make sure that I'm providing appropriate material for all students to make progress, and gives me another "group" to keep a check on. I teach drama, so "talented" jumps out at me. Having to cater for "able" can be trickier - a DC with L5 in KS2 English, Maths & Science isn't necessarily going to be a superb performer, but I would still be expected to ensure that they come out of GCSE Performing Arts with at least an A.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now