Advanced search

Does anyone know about sensory processing disorders in gifted children?

(14 Posts)
Ingles2 Sun 20-Jan-13 09:46:24

By the way, from how you describe, sounds very like dyspraxia or DCD.
dyspraxia foundation

Ingles2 Sun 20-Jan-13 09:42:13

My son is dyspraxic with sensory processing issues which are less obvious the older he gets, he's now at secondary school. He's also extremely bright, especially in the sciences.
I also don't think you'll get any help with the fees I'm afraid, but I just wanted to say that I worried about my son coping in large classes/schools and he has coped brilliantly. Over the years he has found his own ways of coping when things are too loud, busy and in fact he is now at an enormous secondary (2500 pupils) and doing brilliantly!
If you need to move into the state sector, you may well find that the school has better resources/ more experience of dealing with SN's. All through ds's school career he has had easy access to OT/paed/ed psych/ SALT and SENCO, all provided by the school and all helping him meet his potential.

MyGTStudent Sun 20-Jan-13 09:31:07

The behavior your child is exhibiting matches behavior patterns often associated with a mild form of Autism known as Asperger's Syndrome. Children with Asperger's Syndrome are typically considered gifted & talented, and generally score high on IQ and other intelligence test, but typically lack in social skills and may be overly sensitive to certain sensory things such as light, noise, foods, colors, etc.

If a child is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, most schools are required to make certain learning accommodations which can greatly increase your child's grades and improve his/her classroom behavior. Testing for Asperger's is generally handled by the schools with typically no cost involved.

A quick Google search on Asperger's Syndrome should supply you with a ton of information on the subject which should allow you to see if your child may be a good candidate for testing.

Lougle Wed 12-Dec-12 12:52:53

Statements are usually only maintained when children attend state schools. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. The only time a LA will pay for an independent sector school is when the parents/professionals have demonstrated that there are no state schools which meet the child's needs.

blackeyedsusan Tue 04-Dec-12 23:14:50

have a google of over excitabilities too. one site to start

Padar Sun 02-Dec-12 16:00:34

Has got nothing to do with gifted..;-) you have both bright and normal kids like that.
Souns like dyspraxia or autism spectrum.( or sensory integration, they label it every 5 yrs differently)Statement will help with help at school and extra time for exams, that's all.he will be allowed to use a laptop perhaps, and will get priority in a state school which caters for special the private sector : schools will be reluctant to take him , once statemented( prep schools ). There are excellent secondary schools who are more sylhet attic to sn, good luck !!

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 21-Oct-12 11:00:59

Twas just a thought. sad He wouldn't cope with the noise and bustle of a larger classroom.

I'll try the SN boards. Thank you smile

Pagwatch Sun 21-Oct-12 10:58:04

Ah, well I don't think you stand any much chance of getting his school covered by a statement. Sorry.

What support do you think he needs in school?
If an ot/physio team were suggested in a different area can you not try to get similar out of shool support for him locally.

Again - the SN board may have people who know far more about sensory processing and available support

TheFallenMadonna Sun 21-Oct-12 10:56:47

A statement won't help with fees. It might help him with transition to a state school though.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 21-Oct-12 10:53:39

Sorry. With the fees, yes. They referred him to a community paediatrician last year, she referred him to an OT/Physio team but they wouldn't see him as we moved out of the area (by two miles!). He has another paeds appointment tomorrow. The school referred him due to the social skills problems. They have a very small unit, but most of his care is via the personal tutor.

Pagwatch Sun 21-Oct-12 10:49:59

What do you mean, you need help with funding? Do you mean you need help with the fees?

Have the school said why they are investigating? Do they have a decent sen support unit? Are they investigating in order to help him or in order to see if their school will be unable to assist his needs.

You might want to ask over in SN. Some on there may have experience of sensory problems and statements. Ds2 has sensory problems but his special school can manage them

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 21-Oct-12 10:44:16

Thank you sad

RedHelenB Sun 21-Oct-12 09:06:30

Not sure you will get funding if you are in the private sector.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sat 20-Oct-12 19:08:04

Ds is oversensitive, and fits the bill for this perfectly. I'm trying to work out whether he should have a statement at school for this, as he's really struggling. He can't keep up in PE, oversensitive to noise, has issues with social skills (probably more). He's at a private school and they have not said anything about a statement, they have noticed his problems though and referred him to a paediatrician in January. We've since moved, and he has an appointment with a new one on Monday. A statement would really help as I now need help with funding. He won't survive in a large school with large classes, this was the smallest I could find.

Please help. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: