Talk

Advanced search

Any children here on G&T list but also with Special Educational Needs?

(8 Posts)
Nottigermum Sun 23-Sep-12 19:17:20

DS has a severe speech disorder and is on the SEN list, currently on School Action Plus (the school has to get external resources to support his speech). There has been a suggestion that he could be G&T in maths. I know he has an exceptional understanding of maths, but I just wondered if other kids on G&T and special needs register. Thanks!

OodHousekeeping Sun 23-Sep-12 20:28:55

Dd2 was but no longer qualifies for SA+ now the speech therapy has given up is no longer involved.

Hers was maths too.

bruffin Sun 23-Sep-12 20:33:38

Ds for science and It but has dyslexic type sld.

Niceweather Sun 23-Sep-12 20:35:45

Try doing a Google on "Twice Exceptional". My son has dyslexia and has been on the SEN register but isn't currently on it. It is definitely possible to be on both but if you read up on Twice Exceptional, you will see that the two things can cancel each other out and make the child appear to be average or lazy. There are lots of historical figures who might have been on both... Stephen Hawking for example.

KitKatGirl1 Mon 24-Sep-12 22:28:34

Yep, ASD and G & T (for what it's worth) in Maths and Science. Not that unusual...!

Figgis8 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:26:46

My son has mild cerebral palsy and has to use a laptop in school because he can't write very well. TBH don't know why he is on there and it doesn't seem to have done him any favours...

Tiggles Tue 25-Sep-12 21:27:33

DS2 has ASD and is on the A&T list for literacy and maths, however he doesn't get any specific SEN provision for his ASD (yet). I might start pushing for some as there are a few things he finds hard - noisy dinner hall for example.

Sonatensatz Fri 28-Sep-12 15:41:46

My (much younger) sister was when she was at school SN for dyslexia and g&t for music she's not long left school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now