Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have children who like reading books upside down?

(21 Posts)
AnxiousElephant Tue 18-Oct-11 14:11:26

DD1 is very able and above the expected spectrum of ability for her age in reading (this isn't about her actual reading ability) and I have noticed that she sometimes likes to read her books, still fluently but upside down.

Just wondered if it is because she is bored and it livens things up or whether she is dyslexic, even though she is well ahead iyswim.

AnxiousElephant Tue 18-Oct-11 14:12:21

Have to add that the reason I thought perhaps she could be dyslexic is that her dad is and it is genetic.

AnxiousElephant Tue 18-Oct-11 14:32:33

anyone else? or am I alone in this?

piprabbit Tue 18-Oct-11 14:37:10

I'm not sure what it might mean - but it is a very useful skill to have.

I've used my upside-down reading superpower at work quite often. I also us it when reading books to the DCs when I need to hold the book away from me so they can see the pictures.

nickelbabe Tue 18-Oct-11 14:37:26

I used to read books upside down loads when I was a child.

and it's actually a valuable life skill - it means you can read stuff that someone else is looking at without them having to finish what they're reading and turn it around for you to see.
(it means it's also useful for reading things that aren't necessarily for your eyes - most of the time people don't realise you're looking at it. grin)

definitely encourage it - it might be because she's bored, or it might be that she's showing off, or it might be that she's learning this really cool new skill.
It's unlikely to mean a learning difficulty, unless she can read better upside down than the right way up. (in whcih case she might be doing other stuff like forming letters upside down too)

CMOTdibbler Tue 18-Oct-11 14:37:38

I've always liked to do it- tbh, as an adult its my party piece to be able to read documents upside down and finish before the person reading it the right way up.

I can read back to front faster than most people read normally too

nickelbabe Tue 18-Oct-11 14:48:40

exactly, Cmot

OP, it would also be cool to encourage her to learn to write upside down and in mirror too - People are still impressed that I can write in mirror (neater than my normal way round! grin )
but I can't write upside down, because I never practised it when I had the chance.

HauntyMython Tue 18-Oct-11 17:40:43

I did blush

I was reading when I started reception and the first time I had individual reading with my teacher I read it upside down <precocious little madam emoticon>

I also enjoyed writing backwards etc, I'm sure that's what led on to a borderline addiction liking for codes and ciphers.

It's just messing around with language, pushing yourself and experimenting, nothing to be concerned about smile

hocuspontas Tue 18-Oct-11 17:46:30

I grew up thinking that everyone could read upside down! The most useful times to me have been sitting opposite consultants and reading my doctor's correspondence to them and reading teachers' notes about my children at parent consultations. grin

inmysparetime Tue 18-Oct-11 19:22:33

I did too. I have a school memory of the teacher (I was 6) telling me in a patronising way that my book was upside down. My reply (exasperated) "I have read every book in the classroom forwards and backwards, I thought I'd try upside down". To the school's credit, they let me use the junior library, then when I read all those, have free choice in the local public library.
Upside down reading is very useful in e.g. interviews as you can see what they are going to ask next, and what they are writing about you. Childhood benefits include reading quiz answers and reading maps facing the correct compass direction.
My DD aged 7 enjoys reading upside down, and reading mirror writing. I didn't think it was unusualsmile

OhYouBadBadGhostie Tue 18-Oct-11 19:26:41

It can be a very useful skill in parent-teacher meetings wink

AnxiousElephant Tue 18-Oct-11 19:30:20

DD does like to write backwards but I would rather she learned to spell correctly first!!! Glad lots of you have done it and haven't got dyslexia etc, makes me feel better that its not unusual.

The teacher has took it as boredom and has upped her level grin

muffinflop Tue 18-Oct-11 19:34:29

Can't everyone read upside down shock? How can I have got to the age of cough and not known that?? I can mirror write too and thought it was just something I learnt as a trick when younger that stuck and that everyone could learn to do it.

It is VERY useful to be able to read upside down OP. I don't think there are any problems with it but maybe mention it to her teacher?

AnxiousElephant Tue 18-Oct-11 19:36:58

I can do it but not sure when I did learn it iyswim - dd is only 5.

nickelbabe Wed 19-Oct-11 11:41:15

grin at inmysparetime - you precocious child grin

yy to the map reading- very good skill

inmysparetime Wed 19-Oct-11 12:50:59

I was actually really annoying as a child which I have completely grown out of
My poor mother had to send me in with charity shop books after I'd read all appropriate books in the library, as she couldn't afford the volume I read new, and I was getting really insufferable if left to read non-fiction.
Oddly, I no longer read maps upside down even though I can, I just imagine the whole landscape the way I have the map (I am such a narcissist the world in my mind really does revolve around me!) like a tomtom in my mind's eye.

nickelbabe Wed 19-Oct-11 12:55:22

I was really annoying as a child, too.
I haven't grown out of it, which is annoying for DH, because he's from this town, and therefore cannot speak properly.
I keep correcting him on how he speaks (I used not to - but since I've been pg, I'm panicking that the baby will grow up speaking like locals round here - uncapable of pronouncing "th", thinking it's "you was", and using "never" to mean "didn't", so I'm correcting him all the time. blush)
and he's starting to get annoyed with me about it.
I have told him a few times that he's not allowed to talk to the child grin

TalkinPeace2 Thu 20-Oct-11 14:37:52

Maintain that skill - INVALUABLE in later professional life.

If you can do mirror writing, practice reading a thin sheet of paper placed face down
Even more fun in meetings with employers / clients / rivals later in life!!!

nickelbabe Thu 20-Oct-11 15:16:24

I was reading the president's notes upsdie down last night at my WI committee meeting.
It said "if nickel is absent discuss baby shower" wink

vair-vair interesting.... grin

AnxiousElephant Sat 22-Oct-11 00:00:24

grin when I saw presidents notes I had a vision of you in Obahmas office grin

nickelbabe Sat 22-Oct-11 10:10:43

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now