Talk

Advanced search

Not my child but is this amazing?

(12 Posts)
dolphin79 Thu 15-Sep-11 22:01:28

to be working at 4b in all subjects at start of year 3.

newtermnewname Fri 16-Sep-11 08:02:43

Very good, yes; amazing, no.

LovetheHarp Fri 16-Sep-11 08:29:12

I would have thought it was unusual seen as most children finish Y2 on 2b (average), some will be below that and some above (3b). So that would be a whole level above those who are already above average - I would say it's pretty exceptional.

ibizagirl Fri 16-Sep-11 12:11:06

Hi dolphin79.
My DD has always been very able and was getting level 4A in year 2 sats. From year 3 she got level 5A and had to settle with the same score until finishing year 6 as she was not allowed to take a higher paper (extended paper i think the headmaster called it). She was not challenged at all at her primary school and was told to help others when she had finished her own work! Now she is in year 8 at high school and in year 7 her levels were 7A (except for pe as she is a big girl and can't do a lot of the stuff but is still gaining a 5 for effort i suppose although she does like netball). Is on gifted and talented register and has been through primary but it doesn't do a thing and it isn't mentioned at high school. Took a gsce in maths in year 7 and gained A* but no sort of well done or anything from school. Such a shame. The child you are posting about is doing very well as a lot of the children will only gain maybe a 2 or if they are good a 3.Keep it up! Best wishes.

dolphin79 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:21:21

Thanks for that. I thought it was exceptional.
I do hope she gets the support too as she is a lovely girl.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Mon 26-Sep-11 13:54:17

What is all this 3/4b business about? Sorry to be daft, just wondering how all this grading works as mine not at that stage of education.

iggly2 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:31:41

Join the club whosegotmyeyebrows! I didn't know about the weird and wonderful cult of NC levels till I started lurking on the MN postings.

iggly2 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:36:28

To OP.....I think everything depends on parental input/opportunities/help so much.

All children could reach those levels (special needs aside ) with lots of help and encouragement. Alternatively if not helped/encouraged/directed it could be exceptional.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 12:33:22

iggly2 What's NC stand for?! Really I haven't a clue!

newtermnewname Tue 27-Sep-11 13:31:43

National Curriculum.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 14:32:17

Thanks! My DD had just started Y1 and so far hasn't had any of this 3/4 stuff mentioned in her reports (well there has only been one). Is this something which they do later or do some schools do it and some not?

kistigger Fri 30-Sep-11 13:25:40

WhoseGotMyEyebrows - The numbers relate to the levels used in SATS etc which children tend to still do at the end of Year 2, 6 and 9. Although they're not all official any more, many schools still do them and give you grades at the end. DS got graded using this system by his teacher at the end of year 3 too. 1C is the lowest goes up through B then A, then onto 2C, 2B, 2A, 3C etc etc.

Government guidelines (on the .gov website) suggest that an average:
5 year old will be level 1
most 7yo level 2 (end of Key Stage 1)
most 11yo level 4 (end of KS 2)
most 13yo reach level 5 (end of KS3)
14yo level 6, above average level 7 and level 8 apparently is for maths only!
Although I'm sure a teacher will probably correct me, I'm just going by what the website said!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now