Talk

Advanced search

Affordable testing and assements?

(10 Posts)
Taila Tue 19-Jul-11 21:57:17

It was recommened to me to have my DD (25m) tested and assessed for being gifted, does anyone know of a good place I could take her that is affordable? Ive contacted a few psychologists, except their fees are £200-£300 an hour and I havent that sort of money. sad

catsareevil Tue 19-Jul-11 22:09:31

What are your particular concerns around your DD?

Taila Tue 19-Jul-11 22:27:58

Im having trouble keeping up with her, it seems at every turn she is ready to learn something new that I wouldnt have even considered to start teaching her at this age; her latest adventure she is diving me into is learning to read and write.

Im hoping to have her assessed so I can know a bit more about what level I should be teaching her things at and encourage her so she does not get bored.

Also there are a few behavioral issues that can be chalked up to frustration of a lot more going on her head than she can fully express.

JazminKennedy Wed 20-Jul-11 00:02:47

Hiya, unfortunately that's how much they cost for the assessment.shock Also it is not recommended to have kids tested before the age of 4 as it may result in unreliable scores because of their unpredictable behaviour.

If your daughter wants to read and write then try to make provisions for her, my daughter was reading and writing just before 2, all self taught. But my son, i taught him to read in exactly 3 weeks when he was 4. I used a combination of flashcards and one to one reading. There are very simple techniques you can use to help your daughter, you can check out some on youtube.

What kind of things is she interested in?

EyeOfNewtToeOfFrog Wed 20-Jul-11 12:19:24

And have a look at the NAGC website: www.nagcbritain.org.uk

There's lots of information, ideas and contacts there. I have found them an incredibly helpful and friendly organisation. Your DD sounds brilliant, btw! Enjoy her & be proud of what she can do - the early years go so quickly smile

Taila Wed 20-Jul-11 18:27:38

JazminKennedy- Any ideas as to the name of the videos on youtube? I did a search for some of the videos and managed to pull up some very odd things. Perhaps I searched the wrong 'keywords'?

As for her interests, she is an odd one. My son has a focus point for trains, but my daughter is into everything. She spends hours focusing on one particular subject at a time, but the next day she will be into something completely different; then return to a subject a week later.

Eyeofnewttoeoffrog- Ive had a look through the NAGC webside, your right a lot of really useful stuff. Thanks for suggesting it!

Would be so nice if there was a manual for children lol Maybe Ill start one; my first line in it will read "So, your a parent! Congradulations, now take anything you know about children and throw it out the window! Buckle up and hold tight its going to get bumpy!"

JazminKennedy Wed 20-Jul-11 20:14:48

Hiya, here's a good one, i use to teach like this at school as well. With my son though i just used a mini whiteboard and coloured marker instead. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJe7IQtoeM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

This is another good one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-n5BNRPGQ&feature=related Hth

NerfHerder Wed 20-Jul-11 20:23:24

I don't think you need to have her tested to know if she's gifted- just follow her lead!

I assume if you've an older child you already have a lot of resources around your home anyway? Just let her pick what she'd like and go with it.

Purplepeak Fri 22-Jul-11 11:28:02

There are two really good fact sheets about this on the NAGC website: P100 Educational Psychologists - Advice for Parents, and P69 IQ Assessments Explained Fact sheets. They also have an online Could Your Child be Gifted? Questionnaire.

m21b1g Sun 24-Jul-11 17:00:35

I agree about following your daughters lead. My daughter has always been ahead of her peers but I just saw it as being from the toys that she had which taught a lot of things, but it has been the school who have spotted it and put her forward for the G&T list.

She is 5 now and had completed all of the foundation stage school work by October last year, after being at school for 4 weeks. So they put her on to keystage 1 work and she has completed all of the basic year 1 work as they have not been able to give her the amount of work she is able to do, due to lack of one to one being available. But now that I am aware just how far ahead she is I can help her with extra things at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now