Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this good for a reception child? (Probably boast alert)

(14 Posts)
newcastle10 Fri 08-Jul-11 21:23:14

dc were playing a school game and dd in reception worth this independently. (special person)
Extract.
He is a good boy. He never fights. He has got good manners. He always has 5 a day. He's nice to his friend. He plays with his brother.

Ismeyes Fri 08-Jul-11 22:06:14

With full punctuation, sentence structure and all words spelt correctly without help from older dc?

newcastle10 Fri 08-Jul-11 22:15:38

Yes to full stops and capital letters. No to help from older ds. It cerainly seemed better than older dc could have done at that age.

muminthecity Fri 08-Jul-11 22:21:26

My DD can write like this, she's in reception but is one of the oldest in her year. I'd say your DD is bright but not necessarily G&T IMO. Sorry.

Knackeredmother Fri 08-Jul-11 22:27:35

I'd say that was amazing but you will get lots of parents saying it isn't.
There was a thread recently when someone posted some writing done by their dc. It was really rather good but everyone slated it.
Turned out they had plagiarized it from a renowned author!

chimchar Sat 09-Jul-11 06:51:26

I would say that was incredible! My dc 1 was amazingly good at reading.... Taught himself at 3yo. he never would have written that at that stage.

My dc3 is in reception, but the youngest in year. He can only just write his name.

It's all swings and roundabouts really. Kids all get there In their own time, but it does seem like your dc is there earlier than most!!

LovetheHarp Sat 09-Jul-11 12:40:02

I would go against the grain and say that in most cases it is hard to tell a talented writer in reception - and that children who write well in reception do not necessarily become fantastic writers. Often exceptional writing will come from a massive interest in reading, a rich vocabulary and a vivid imagination combined.

In reception often it is more about fine motor skills and maturity.

I am sure loads of people will come along and contradict me, but that has been my personal experience.

flower1978 Mon 11-Jul-11 10:30:04

My dd could barely write a sentence at that age so I would say its good. However, again not sure how that will equate to future performance.

rabbitstew Mon 11-Jul-11 14:20:20

Well, I would certainly say a reception child who never fights, has good manners, is nice to his friend and plays with his brother is good - possibly a bit boring, but definitely good. Presuming the 5 a day refers to fruit and veg, rather than cigarettes, that is also good.... would much rather read about a naughty reception child, though. Maybe suggest that to your dd for next time.

iMemoo Mon 11-Jul-11 14:21:40

It's a bit rubbish really tbh. Way below average.

newcastle10 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:38:38

Clearly she is not talking about herself but one of her teddy's.

chimchar Wed 13-Jul-11 12:03:56

oh, clearly? hmm
silly us!

basingstoke Wed 13-Jul-11 12:08:49

Of course it's good. Why ask? You've posted in the G&T section FGS. Fed up of disingenuous, wide eyed, "ooh, is that good?" posts. I would so much rather see an out and out "how fabulous is my child?" thread...

newcastle10 Wed 13-Jul-11 12:38:16

Sorry chim. That came out wrong. Just wish she was like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now