Talk

Advanced search

In which subjects have your dcs been recognised as being gifted and talented?

(34 Posts)
Carrotsandcelery Tue 28-Jun-11 11:08:14

I know very little about the world of Gifted and Talented and I am intrigued.

Is it always Maths and English skills which result in a child being recognised as gifted and talented or do other subjects get recognised as well?

If other subjects are recognised what are they?

MitchiestInge Tue 28-Jun-11 11:12:51

Two of mine are supposedly gifted in art as well as English and science. They are actually just quite able and bright and have an aptitude for creative things but I like the g&t and more able pupil provision, so am not quibbling.

MitchiestInge Tue 28-Jun-11 11:13:55

I think sport is recognised too, my youngest child has access to various extra sporting type things as part of the more able programme I think.

bumpybecky Tue 28-Jun-11 11:25:43

at various times it's been music, maths, science and french, or at lower school just a general list (no subject specified)

there have been children at our schools listed for sports too

generalhaig Tue 28-Jun-11 20:06:15

ds1 - deemed 'gifted' across the board, but especially so in English, on the register for sport too (also has a statement ...)

ds2 - also statemented and 'gifted' for maths

dd - deemed 'gifted' across the board, and talented in art

in reality, ds2 and dd are exceptionally bright but not anything unusual I would have thought

ds1 has a quickness of mind which is unusual, but also has Tourette's Syndrome and ADHD which brings a whole other set of challenges

bumpybecky Tue 28-Jun-11 21:52:15

probably ought to add that's for 3 dds, not just one ultra G&T child!

lovecheese Wed 29-Jun-11 09:50:38

Literacy, I think, never been officially told.

Lizcat Wed 29-Jun-11 16:42:30

Maths - unusually exceptional ability.
Science - understanding and application of principles considerably beyond years.

aubergine70 Wed 29-Jun-11 16:49:42

There were 3 things but can't remember what. Just seemed like a tick in the box to me as nothing has changed.

pointythings Wed 29-Jun-11 21:57:48

Both of mine have been identified as G & T in maths and English - I am a bit hmm about it because to my mind they are just bright - I mean, I feel that gifted means doing GCSEs in maths at age 10 and so on and my DDs are nowhere near that. They are both operating 2 to 3 years above their chronological ages but then so was I at that age so I guess my perspective is just a bit skewed.

However, they are both getting extra support and extension at school, they get to go on workshops outside of schools in small groups and really get a lot out of it so I'm not complaining.

yousankmybattleship Wed 29-Jun-11 22:01:15

Surely gifted or talented - not likely to be both. My daughter has been identified as gifted in seceral areas but I have asked the school to down play it. I think the whole thing is rediculous. She'll do fine at school without any special intervention and I'm much more concerned that she is making friends and behaving nicely - couldn't give a monekys if she's in top 5%!

pointythings Wed 29-Jun-11 22:07:01

Couldn't agree with you more, battleship - my two don't even know.

bumpybecky Wed 29-Jun-11 22:24:11

our schools (2) haven't ever said whether the dds are gifted or talented, just that they are on the G&T list. I'm not sure I know the difference to be honest

pooka Wed 29-Jun-11 22:32:09

Mine don't know either, though they both go to a weekly extension group so they may have twigged...

7 yr old Dd goes to the maths and the literacy group.

Ds1 is in reception and goes to the literacy group. His maths is ok but nothing special.

I think they're both relatively bright but they're not Ruth lawrences.

colditz Wed 29-Jun-11 22:37:27

Maths, both children, and GOD no I haven't told them, they are big headed enough without my damned help!

lovecheese Thu 30-Jun-11 09:48:20

bumpybecky - gifted=academic subjects, talented=art,music,drama,sport etc.

generalhaig Thu 30-Jun-11 19:02:11

yousank why not both? ds1 has the triple whammy of being officially 'gifted' academically, and talented at sport and having a statement of SEN ...

Mine don't know as such = they've never been sat down and told 'mini-haig, you are G&T' partly cos it sounds so silly, but they know perfectly well that they're doing exceptionally well in certain areas - all children are able to compare what they're doing with what their peers are doing after all

cat64 Thu 30-Jun-11 19:27:18

Message withdrawn

seeker Thu 30-Jun-11 19:29:39

My ds can play the ukelele and the didgeridoo simultaneously. Does that count?

I\ll get my coat.

JazminKennedy Thu 30-Jun-11 22:04:04

Do pple actually sit their children down and tell them they are G&T?confused

My 6 year old daughter is both gifted academically in maths, english and science and talented in music, art and sports (although she has 2 left feet!!)hmm We have never used the term g&t with her, she's just good at those particular things.

"seeker" Wow, have you thought of entering him in Britains got talent....grin

pointythings Thu 30-Jun-11 22:15:20

Jaz I would hope not, but you never know. My two know they have good brains, but they also know that this does not mean they don't have to do their homework or learn their spellings...

JazminKennedy Thu 30-Jun-11 22:33:19

Exactly pointythings regardless of what they know and how much, they still have to learn. My daughter has never once said to me, "I know my maths so i'm not going to anymore work" Unfortunately pple make assumptions that we either label our kids G&T and pressure them to death or our kids are always bored and make no effort because they are 'labelled' G&T hmm

bumpybecky Thu 30-Jun-11 22:57:58

I didn't specifically tell mine, but the older two (13 and 11) brought the letters home from school and read them over my shoulder! they'd also been told by their learning mentors at school

I've not told dd3 (6) and she's not so nosey!

york78 Sun 03-Jul-11 19:12:19

literacy and numeracy

FranSanDisco Sun 03-Jul-11 19:17:29

The school doesn't say but dd has attended g&t out of school clubs held with other schools in the area for art, music and maths. Can't say I'm convinced of it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now