What is the difference between 'Gifted' & 'Talented'

(13 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 10:27:52

Please?

I think I am using the wrongly

IShallWearMidnight Sun 12-Jun-11 10:28:38

generally gifted is academic, talented is things like music, sport, drama

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 10:30:44

I have been using them wrongly them I thought Talented was one particular area & gifted was across the range of skills/knowledge

PenelopePitstops Sun 12-Jun-11 10:35:44

nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/288025

page 8 of this download should help

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 10:40:23

That was great & it led me to this which has really helped

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 10:42:48

I 'think' DD is talented then & possibly under achieving

But we will get nowhere with the school as it isn't a 'proper' sport

PenelopePitstops Sun 12-Jun-11 10:44:34

what sport is it if you don't mind asking?

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 10:48:03

She dances; quite a wide range on dance (& is about to take on another one)

School really isn't taking it seriously, it's nice that she has a little hobby

Her teachers out of school are; the head of the school has cleared a space for her to have private lessons with her rather than a junior teacher and we are tentatively talking about lessons with other teachers maybe in London (which is a big step)

PenelopePitstops Sun 12-Jun-11 10:50:49

Thats fab.

I would mention it to school but what do you want from school?
They can put her on the G&T reg for dance but in reality it makes little difference. The support from home will be most important.

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 10:56:49

The issues at school are complex; they appears to only do contemporary which DD is least good at (although I am about to suggest to the teacher she calls it something else & see how DD does as I think she is a bit blocked)
Time off for competing nationally is begrudged (despite footballers & cricketers having a free reign to take what ever time they need - even practices)
Sport itself is causing problems DD is terrified of rugby, football, hockey & long/high jump & hurdles because she is scared of damaging a limb; this is made harder by the top footballers being excused the athletics stuff in case they get hurt.

I guess I'm being petty & unreasonable; in fact I know I am sad

PenelopePitstops Sun 12-Jun-11 11:03:58

I think you need to speak to the pe dept and make clear your dds concerns. The school may not realise how good your dd is and therefore aren't sure why she has time off.
You aren't being unreasonable, school should make concessions but they need information. It is easy to tell a footballer is good because he has been signed to a club etc, with dance it is a little different and the teachers probably have no experience of that.

KatyMac Sun 12-Jun-11 11:15:15

They have the information; but it's parents evening on Monday, so I will bring it up again

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 18:15:38

Surprise surprise, I think they are reading my MN posts

They have changed their minds; she can go away after all - it's educational (apparently)

Sports will be adapted as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now