Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's child been to the Royal Institution Maths Masterclasses?

(6 Posts)
brassick Fri 24-Dec-10 11:29:32

Dd1 (age 13, yr 9) came home with a letter from the University of Glamorgan inviting her to attend the Royal Institution Saturday Morning Maths Masterclass starting in Jan.

She has apparently been nominated by the school.

I think this is a great opportunity, she has always been good at maths, and this will give her the chance to explore different areas of the subject.

However, I have a feeling that she will just point blank refuse to do it (haven't had the strength to get into the argument with her yet...). Not only will it involve going somewhere where she doesn't know anyone - which she hates doing - but also will clash with her Saturday morning wind orchestra which she loves.

Has anyone's child attended one of these (at any location, not just Uni Glam), and did they rate it?

How can I persuade her it would be a good thing to do?

FrostyAndSlippery Fri 24-Dec-10 11:41:32

It's a while ago now, but I did it. I was yr9 too so I guess it was in 2000.

I loved it! It was great, just doing the less bog-standard maths IYSWIM - code breaking etc. There were practical sessions too.

We also got to attend a proper day of lectures at the RI but that may only be because we are nearer than you are.

I found it a fab experience (still have all the papers from it somewhere!), I can see why she may be reluctant if she's anxious about new situations but it's well worth trying to persuade her IMO. If there are others from her school going it'd help (certainly helped me as I was quite shy)

zeus123 Fri 24-Dec-10 11:48:55

Oh I know someone's dd who went there and enjoyed it. You could stay in Cardiff and travel there.

brassick Fri 24-Dec-10 11:54:43

We live in Newport, so getting there isn't too much of an issue.

As I say, I haven't discussed it with her, so I don't know if anyone else from her school has been invited - and of course, even if they had, doesn't mean they would go...

Teenagers are sooo frustrating. Sometimes I really do know best, but of course, she won't believe that...grrr

catinthehat2 Fri 24-Dec-10 12:12:39

NOrmally I would say that orchestra has priority over everything.

On this occasion, I would however stick her in the boot of the car, drive her over there at high speed, then superglue her to the relevant seat.

Don't let her talk you out of it, it's a great opportunity.

brassick Fri 24-Dec-10 12:59:22

That's my feeling too. Orchestra will still be there once this course has finished (it's 1 term or 1/2 a term, can't remember).

Will gird my loins, prepare the arguments, wait for the right moment & discuss it with her...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now