Advanced search

when changing school should we inform new school of learning requirements

(15 Posts)
squidgy12 Tue 07-Dec-10 23:33:40

Message withdrawn

squidgy12 Wed 08-Dec-10 10:18:04

Message withdrawn

lovecheese Wed 08-Dec-10 12:16:44

squidgy12 - I am not doubting for a minute that your son is not bright, but don't forget that if you move him to a high-achieving year group he may not still be in the top 10% and therefore, officially, not G&T - I know, daft isn't it? It's a moveable feast, and for this reason why it causes such debate.

squidgy12 Wed 08-Dec-10 12:39:23

Message withdrawn

lovecheese Wed 08-Dec-10 12:51:29

I would let school assess him. But then I am not a teacher.

squidgy12 Wed 08-Dec-10 12:59:28

Message withdrawn

titchy Wed 08-Dec-10 13:16:26

I would let school assess his academic abilities as well. However if he has some behavioural or ASD issues I would certainly have a chat about those.

squidgy12 Wed 08-Dec-10 13:45:56

Message withdrawn

exexpat Wed 08-Dec-10 13:58:51

It sounds to me like you should try to arrange a 'getting to know you' chat with the school before he starts, but mainly to talk about the behaviour/social issues, so they know and can have strategies in place. At the same time mention that his academic performance is ahead of his age.

I would guess that the school might want to get him assessed once he has settled in, and if (presumably) it is a state school he is moving too, you should have access to assessments and possible help without having to pay for it yourself.

But I think if you walk in and just start telling them he is gifted and needs special work setting for him, you may rub people up the wrong way.

squidgy12 Wed 08-Dec-10 14:30:46

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Wed 08-Dec-10 23:14:57

he's 5? and he's going into yr 2 after christmas? i think he should be going into yr 1... yopu might want to check this.

they will be aware that he has come from a different learning environment and as is normal with any child entering a new school, they will assess him to determine reading levels/ ability etc. tbh i would focus more on the 'social' issues and chat a little bit to his new teacher about your concerns, even though he is doing well.

state is often better for additional needs than private anyway (if you need more than small class sizes) but i would just let it all shake down until the first parent teacher evening and then ask how he is doing incomparison to his peers.

they will be aware that often private settings have a more academic focus, so they won't be too suprised if he is a little ahead, i'm sure.

madwomanintheattic Wed 08-Dec-10 23:18:14

if he has tantrums because his work is too easy then the school will address it with teaching coping mechanisms as well as appropriate differentiation btw. this will stand him in much better stead later on in life, than having everyone alter the world so that he can cope. has he had an ed psych assessment before?

squidgy12 Fri 10-Dec-10 12:01:45

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Dec-10 14:57:13

um, you may have got the wrong end of the stick - ed psych not just for problems - they carry out learning assessments, assess for giftedness/ higher end ability, and can advise schools on appropriate differentiation and extension suggestions for more able pupils.

an ed psych report with a 'gifted' or 'more able' tag is the acceptable method of arriving at a new school with a bright kid, without saying 'my child needs differentiated work from the get-go'. it is an official assessment of how bright your child is, rather than yet another parent walking into new school and attempting to convince teachers that their child is the next einstein. grin

sorry - i wasn't clear when i tagged it onto the bit about help with social issues - red herring!

an ed psych assessment is very useful in these circs - especially if there are other other issues - the 'other issues' can be used as a means to an end to facilitate appropriate diffeentiation, which is what you are looking for.

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Dec-10 14:59:35

sorry, not clear again - the 'other issues' can be a means to an end (to get an ed psych assessment) to facilitate appropriate differentiation, which is what you are looking for.

an ed psych assessment with an iq score/ assessment denoting 'gifted' or much higher than average ability will ensure that whatever school your child goes to, the work will be appropriately differentiated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: