Talk

Advanced search

converting adult IQ scores into childrens'

(20 Posts)
darleneconnor Mon 08-Nov-10 13:29:11

If a child scores 157 in an adult IQ test (i dont know if it was a Stanford-Binet or Weschler) and is 8yo does that score get adjusted for age?

Is there any way of getting a child's IQ assessed without having to pay £300+ for a private assessment?

nobodyisasomebody Mon 08-Nov-10 13:55:15

Where did the child take the test?

The tests you mention can only be administered by an educational psychologist who would also provide a report. The scores would be age adjusted.

HTH

darleneconnor Mon 08-Nov-10 13:58:21

They were just out of an adult IQ test book, so I know it's not a reliable, scientific test.

MrsSnaplegs Mon 08-Nov-10 14:10:43

Apply through Mensa for an at home test if you really want one done, they then do a formal supervised one if the first score is high enough. Or this is how mine was done as a teenager. I would caution though it added a lot of pressure to me from school and others expectations that I would rather not have had and I ended up rebelling and not going to Uni as my mum wanted me to but got a real job instead so I could get away from the academic pressure - it wasn't something that bought any value to my life. My iq was 178 which on whatever scale it was put me in top 1% of uk at the time.

darleneconnor Mon 08-Nov-10 14:12:59

You have to be 10 to take those home tests though.

FreudianSlimmery Mon 08-Nov-10 14:18:25

Wow that score is quite high for an adult so must be pretty damn good for an 8yo.

Is it essential that you find out officially, like for a school IEP or something?

Or can you just settle for knowing he's very clever for now and making sure he's catered for at school?

darleneconnor Mon 08-Nov-10 16:48:50

What's an IEP?

Thye school dont cater for him sad

FreudianSlimmery Mon 08-Nov-10 18:24:57

IEP is an individual education plan, don't know much personally but it's aimed at making sure kids get the education they need when they have a specific issue like giftedness or a learning difficulty.

The reason I asked was because I thought maybe you'd need to prove his ability in order to access such help.

Is he bored at school? Are the teachers aware of his ability?

eviscerateyourmemory Mon 08-Nov-10 18:30:11

If you want to have a reliable IQ it would need to be done by a psychologist, rather than a test out of a book, so if you need to know officially then would need to go down a more formal route.

darleneconnor Mon 08-Nov-10 19:40:13

Is ther no way of getting a rough estimate from that score?

I cant afford to pay to go private and the school dont like to individualise out pupils. They dont even have a gifted policy.

He's bored. They know it, I know it, he knows it but they're not interested.

eviscerateyourmemory Mon 08-Nov-10 20:06:38

The school are unlikely to take any action based on a test like that, whether you find a way of adjusting for age or not.

Can you pursue the issue of your son being bored/unchallenged, rather than adding in the IQ issue?

alicatte Mon 08-Nov-10 20:16:50

IQ can only be estimated below 18 years old.

The tests used are specifically designed for particular age groups to give a close to accurate answer but again it is not too good a yardstick before the child is in their teens - they have to be completed within a particular time or the score is invalid. The tests look different depending on the child's age, they don't get harder as such they just look different.

NFER do publish some that the public can buy that might be something you could look at - but if you want the school to accept the score you will have to allow them to monitor the test and conduct it in school under exam conditions. Again the time taken is crucial to the scoring. Most children do not finish within the time allowed if your DC can finish a test within about 20 minutes then this might be a way to illustrate their ability to the school.

Although as others have said it might be better to just discuss things with your school. Most teachers love really clever children - I know I do.

lisawright2002uk Thu 06-Jan-11 19:53:40

My daughter is 7 years old, last year in her SAT (end of her KS1) get score 100% for both paper English & math, geting almost full marks for the next level paper too. I almostly proud of her as english is my second language.

Now she is in year 3 & I would like to find out if there is any IQ test for her so I can get right help (extra) if she is gifted child. Do any one know where can I get the test done pls.

Many thanks
Lisa

squidgy12 Thu 06-Jan-11 20:45:37

Message withdrawn

squidgy12 Thu 06-Jan-11 20:47:03

Message withdrawn

lisawright2002uk Thu 06-Jan-11 21:13:15

Thanks for the reply squidgy12, my daughter really enjoy every bits of her school life. School has not suggested any IQ test for her. It was really my idea as I felt like I reach my limits to help her & can do with some extra help to encourage her to "grow". Any suggestion pls what should I do?
Many thanks
Lisa

squidgy12 Thu 06-Jan-11 22:26:17

Message withdrawn

lisawright2002uk Fri 07-Jan-11 22:56:00

My daughter always finished her homework early (e.g given school homework today & she already hand it in the day after)same goes to her school reading book (she already library reader begining of year2 - school reading level) she also doing arabic lessons on monday, piano tuesday & friday, dancing wednesday, thursday & saturday, yet again she still looking for more thing to do almost every nights before her bed time. I can see she getting bored & I really dont want her to lost interest of 'expanding' in future. Any help or ideas will highly needed pls.

Many thanks
Lisa

darleneconnor Mon 10-Jan-11 18:07:35

squidgy- I spoke to the school before Xmas- they are going to enter him into maths competitions but said it's up to him to challenge himself in the classromm as that is what the new 'curriculum for excellence' (in Scotland) says to do.

So now I'm applying for scholarships/bursaries for next year.

squidgy12 Mon 10-Jan-11 19:06:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now