Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is 2 too young for yakult?

(13 Posts)
OzJo Wed 17-Aug-05 00:09:07

Dear all,
Dd age 2 and 4 months has had diorrhea off and on for a week, the Dr has prescribed 3 days of antibiotics. I was thinking of giving her a yakult when the meds were finished, or should I leave it given the recent dodgy guts?

Janh Wed 17-Aug-05 00:14:13

I think I might try her with it - I mean she might refuse it point blank! But it's quite skimmed tasting, isn't it - not like whole milk or fromage frais.

I just googled yakult/2-yr-old and came up with a long document from some symposium about it which included:

<<AB153: Randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of 6 months dietary supplementation for 2 yr old children in rural Mexico- Kathryn Pramuk, USAFF>>

So giving it to 2-yr-olds is not out of the question.

lilsmum Wed 17-Aug-05 00:20:21

ozjo...when my dd (18mth) had been on IV antibiotics and oral antibiotics i gave her activia yogurts,

she was fine with them, and has the good bacteria in (she hadnt long before that had gasroenteritis and didnt make her vomit)

HTH xx

Chandra Wed 17-Aug-05 01:03:14

I think it will be OK, the only reason why some people is a bit hesitant to give it to children is the high level of sugar. I remember that in one one of the TV programs (you are what you eat or something of the sort) there was mention about was better to use yoghurt which was cheaper and had far less sugar.

Thinking of that, doesn't sugar makes diarroea worse? I have heard people recommending sugar to ease constipation so I wonder... no idea, really.

bobbybob Wed 17-Aug-05 02:32:33

I'd get probiotic powder instead, you need large doses after ABs and yakult is more of a maintenance dose.

GeorginaA Wed 17-Aug-05 08:25:34

I read up on Muller Vitality at some point for much the same reasons, and according to all their literature it's suitable after 12 months (and I assume that's the dairy as main drink issue rather than the pro-biotic issue, but can't be sure). I would have thought that at 2 a probiotic drink would be fine.

Davros Wed 17-Aug-05 19:19:10

Agree that its better to buy Probiotics and add them to whatever food is suitable. You can get them online from the Nutricentre or most health food shops.

OzJo Thu 18-Aug-05 02:31:51

thanks folks, think I might try some live yogurt, smuggle it into a wiggles pot, she'll never know the difference.

happy1 Thu 18-Aug-05 06:21:55

You can get munch bunch probiotic yogurt drink things, yakult for kids!!

katierocket Thu 18-Aug-05 07:11:15

yakult is waste of money.
Agree with Davros, you should get the powdered probiotic, this was recommended to me by a nutrionist when DS seemed to have a lowered immune system (cold after cold).

It's also recommended by Susan Clark in the Times and the 'What really works website'
I don't think the live yogurt will do much to be honest.
here is one we get
3rd one down on the page - BioCare Banana Acidophilus (Ideal for Children and the Elderly)

mumtosomeone Thu 18-Aug-05 07:17:50

Just a quick question..but do they need to have this?
What are the benefits?

Davros Sat 20-Aug-05 18:28:18

I heard on the Radio (or might have been on TV and I wasn't "Watching2) that anyone with a normal diet and no digesetive problems shouldn't need them. Ozjo, who started this thread, has a DD with some gut problems.

mumtosomeone Sat 20-Aug-05 18:36:06

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now