Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dh ICD went off last night.

(21 Posts)
misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:06:16

first time ever.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Tue 16-Aug-05 16:07:19

sorry hun, can you tell me if thats a good thing or bad? assuming bad?!

compo Tue 16-Aug-05 16:07:46

I was assuming good but not sure now!

hub2dee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:08:53

Hi misdee, they go off when their computer bit detects a dangerous condtion which needs 'input' / 'intervention', right ? Have they told you what caused it ? Did the interventon pulses sort stuff out ?

(He's still at the hossie, right ? Or have I missed something)...

macwoozy Tue 16-Aug-05 16:16:38

Crickey, do you know if it was set for V.F's, if so thank god for the ICD. Did he explain it like a kick in the chest? Was he O.K afterwards?

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:28:12

he is still at the hospital. he had been down the bathroom, went to get his beer out the fridge, sat down on his bed, and the ICD shocked him twice. said it felt like being kicked in the chest. They have interogated the device, it seems his was suffering very fast heartbeat at the time. so it has done its job. but peter said he didnt feel unwell or anything before it went off. they have put him on some new drugs to get relax his heart or something.

hub2dee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:33:44

Well, you know the machine works I guess. Surprised he didn't feel the raised heart rate though, I suppose sometimes we don't 'feel' these situations (a bit like raised blood pressure etc.).

A kick in the chest doesn't sound very pleasant. Just out of interest, when they interrogate the unit, does it output a record going back several hours etc. so they can see a pattern, or does it just kick off when say heart rate >= 100 or whatever ?

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:35:12

he says they put a device over where the icd is iomplanted and they get a reading from it. i dont know what dh highest rate is set to. he is now also having 24hour monitoring. he has had the ICD since march, cant belive it hasnt gone off before really.

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:35:34

thats what i said ' at least it works!'

hub2dee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:37:38

LOL.

No interventions since March sounds good, misdee.

Anyway, does Peter have a favourite beer and how is his weight gain doing ? Can you see a bit more 'meat' on your fella yet ? Is he happier in himself ?

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:38:46

He likes miller genuine draft, and coors. must be in bottles tho apparently it tastes better. he is a lot happier, and a lot better than 2months ago. he is now walkign further than he has done in months.

macwoozy Tue 16-Aug-05 16:44:45

It's great to hear such progress.
I bet his ICD going off will make him more apprehensive though, especially without the warning signs beforehand.

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:46:23

i think he is going to be a lot lless active for a few days. they arent making him walk about tyoday, have said to take it easy.

hub2dee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:46:27

Yeah, he'll think twice before reaching for a beer, hey, misdee !

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 16:47:03

beer is on perscription.

suedonim Tue 16-Aug-05 17:00:02

Glad your dh is okay, Misdee and enjoying his beer! Ds2 sometimes works in ITU and one of the patients there has prescription whiskey. He has a breathing disorder, needing help to sleep so the Con said whiskey was better for him than a sleeping tablet and has a 'feel-good' factor, as well.

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 17:01:01

the beer has extra caolories and also increases his appatite

starlover Tue 16-Aug-05 17:04:31

hmmm he needs some weed misdee... relax him and increase his appetite!

misdee Tue 16-Aug-05 17:05:11

give him the munchies lol.

starlover Tue 16-Aug-05 17:08:39

exactly
some countries do prescribe it don't they?

misdee Wed 17-Aug-05 23:19:53

no more episodes. phew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now