Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tips needed for nail cutting

(18 Posts)
burstingbug Mon 15-Aug-05 19:27:31

I need hints and tips on how to go about cutting my 6 month old ds's finger and toe nails.
Obviously he's too small to understand that Mummy might cut his fingers if he squirms too much and will fight with me and dh if one of us holds him and one of us tries to cut his nails. Can't really do it when he sleeps either as he tends to wake up.

Ideas any one?? Thanks

hercules Mon 15-Aug-05 19:28:22

bite them. It is really easy as your mouth is very sensitive and far far safer than nail cutters/scissors.

spidermama Mon 15-Aug-05 19:28:34

Do it while he's feeding. I do it while breastfeeding. It's especially good when they're sleepy.

hunkermunker Mon 15-Aug-05 19:29:54

No idea - we wonder whether social services will be called when we cut DS's (he's 16mo - they get more wriggly and louder IME!). He loathes it with a passion - hates his hands and feet being held tight enough for us to do it!

Do know a couple of people put the TV on with an appealing programme or video - that might work? Doesn't for mine though!

hercules Mon 15-Aug-05 19:31:24

does no one else bite them? It is so easy and I've never had any accidents with either kids. It must be impossible to cut them this way and it's really quick. I do it whilst breastfeeding.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 15-Aug-05 19:31:53

i sit jess on my lap, facing away from me, bear hug her and hold each finger individually and snip away.... literally just done it too! DH was trying before calling me through but he just cant get her to sit still.... mummy's magic touch?

hunkermunker Mon 15-Aug-05 19:32:03

I've tried, Hercules, but don't like doing it!

SaintGeorge Mon 15-Aug-05 19:33:18

I was a biter hercules, I agree it's much easier. Now they are older (4 & 7) I get DH to do them.

hercules Mon 15-Aug-05 19:33:27

When ds was born we asked the mw to do it as we couldnt but she refused and told us to bite instead. It was nerve racking at first but we were quickly converted and havent looked back!

burstingbug Mon 15-Aug-05 19:34:34

I have bitten them when he was tiny, but he's far too squirmy atm to even bite them. He's got scratchy bits on the corners again so when he rubs his eyes or ear flicks when he's tired he marks himself.

Twiglett Mon 15-Aug-05 19:43:53

bite them

spidermama Mon 15-Aug-05 19:45:15

I'd love to bite them herc and have tried but my inceisors don't meet at the front (overbite) so I can't do it. Tried to get dh to but he's too scared.

ruty Mon 15-Aug-05 20:43:03

i can only do my 11month ds's when he is asleep. no other way, he is so strong i can't keep him still to even bite them. have a problem with brushing his teeth too. Like handling a wild animal!

MistressMary Mon 15-Aug-05 20:45:50

Has to be asleep to do it.

They need doing badly. just need him to sleep a bit more that's all! [just waiting emoticon]

burstingbug Mon 15-Aug-05 20:46:03

think i'll have to try again in his sleep then, ds is also like a wild animal, more like an octopus!!

Chocol8 Mon 15-Aug-05 21:23:06

I remember doing this when ds was young - he doesn't like anything metal touching his skin, so I used to "huh" on the nailclippers or scissors to warm them up and do it when he was asleep.

Never thought to bite - it's a good idea!

Blackduck Mon 15-Aug-05 21:25:03

i'm lucky ds hands me the clippers and his hands and feet - only trouble is he does this when there is nothing to clip so I have to pretend

Pomi Tue 16-Aug-05 15:34:27

I put ceebebies on for them even then it become hard. I have never bit them and also cannot do when they are asleep, they sleep in their cots and these are not big enough for me to fit in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now