Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD has her booster jabs tomorrow, how do I prepare her?

(12 Posts)
swiperfox Mon 15-Aug-05 19:19:57

I don't know what I should tell her. She keeps asking why we are going to the docs. The appt is 9.30 so do i not tell her til we are in there or tell her in advance so she doesn't get a shock??

I have a feeling i'm dreading it more than she will but not sure which is the best thing to do....

hunkermunker Mon 15-Aug-05 19:21:10

I'd not tell her till you're there so she doesn't fret about it. Hope she's OK (and you are too!)

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 19:21:49

Was just going to say that Hunker - best not to say anything till you're there Swiper - otherwise she'll fret about it and may kick off big time on the way!

Twiglett Mon 15-Aug-05 19:22:40

I told DS on the morning .. we put it in terms of to make you stronger .. we go via sweet shop and let him choose but he's not allowed to eat till sitting on my knee in nurse's office

I also never lie about it hurting .. I say yes it will hurt but only for a second and as soon as you say 'ow' it will have stopped

HHT

motherinferior Mon 15-Aug-05 19:23:17

I told dd1 about hers quite a way in advance and tbh she was more interested in the prospect of Strict Mummy buying her sweets.

fqueenzebra Mon 15-Aug-05 19:24:06

is this booster before school? With DS1 I told him that it was medicine that he needed to stop him from ever being very poorly, and that it would hurt, but that I would give him a lolly to cheer him up afterwards. So please try to be brave so we can get it over with. Normally I am very reluctant to give out sweets, but I remember how much my own preschool boosters hurt, and I knew that a lolly was merited.

DS1 resolved that he would laugh not cry -- and he did! Piece of piss the whole thing, he was so fine about it (though he did say it did hurt).

I think I will take an honest approach with DD, too, when it's her turn next year.

swiperfox Mon 15-Aug-05 19:29:01

I assume its the pre-school although she doesn't start til next sept! I thought they were meant to be 4 for this one?

To make matters worse, when I registered they said if I hadn't had notification of ds's MMR by tomorrow to tell the nurse and she may do it there and then!

fqueenzebra Mon 15-Aug-05 19:44:10

get all the screaming over with at once?

DS1 was also called for the booster a year before he was due to start school; maybe they like to call them every august just before they turn 4? Some logic to it, I guess!! ... I declined; delayed it until the first week he actually started school. I didn't see the point of doing it a year early.

GeorginaA Tue 16-Aug-05 11:47:25

Well ds1 had his yesterday (and ds2 had his MMR) and it went okay. I told him the day before and we had a big trip to get a LARGE packet of sweets (he normally has them restricted and only after dinner so a big treat) to eat during and after the jabs. He then got really excited about the doctor's appointment!

I told him that it would be a slight prick and be uncomfortable for a second but that it would protect him from getting some really nasty illnesses. I think ds2 having his at the same time helped as he didn't feel like he was being singled out.

He did say ow and squirm a little when the needle was going in both times but otherwise was a little star with his mouth stuffed full of sweets . In fact, he even mentioned it as the highlight of his day over dinner (the sweets I assume, not the jab, but I'm not sure you can tell with 4 year olds!!)

hunkermunker Tue 16-Aug-05 14:01:37

How was she, Swiper?

swiperfox Tue 16-Aug-05 15:33:26

She was brill! Bless her. I told her just before we went that she was going to have a little prickle for some medicine and that all the children who are going to school have it. The nurse was fantastic though, she drew elephants on the two plasters and made it almost fun!! So no tears!!!

ds didn't get his, i've got to ring them for his....phew!

hunkermunker Tue 16-Aug-05 18:47:06

Glad she was OK - have been thinking about her and you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now