Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

please help - baby just fell out of bed

(13 Posts)
littlestar Mon 15-Aug-05 09:03:15

My baby just rolled off our bed while my back was turned for a second (he's never rolled that far before). He cried for a few minutes but seems ok now. I feel so terrible and don't know what to do. Should I take him to A&E, just in case?

elsmommy Mon 15-Aug-05 09:04:26

How old?

tortoiseshell Mon 15-Aug-05 09:05:05

See how he is - my ds rolled off the bed at 5 months or so. If he starts being sicky, or being dopey or floppy then I would take him asap, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Everyone's babies roll of the bed! Just as they all fall down stairs when they're toddlers. Hope he's ok.

MrsBubsDeVere Mon 15-Aug-05 09:05:23

This has happened to me, the first thing I would say is 'trust your instinct', no'one knows your son like you do, if you feel he should go to casualty then take him.

If you decide not to take him keep and eye on him for vomiting, drowsiness and if clear fluid starts weeping out of his ear.

Hope your little on is ok.

Kelly1978 Mon 15-Aug-05 09:06:18

Did he hurt his head? check his pupils are dilating and try not to let him sleep for a while. If he seems especially sleepy or his eyes aren't respondign to light then take him in. He is prob fine, babies are very soft and are usually able to cope with little falls.

TracyK Mon 15-Aug-05 09:06:28

If you are unsure phone NHS direct. Did he hit his head on the way down?
I'm sure he'll be fine - mine has fallen off the bed/couch numerous times - even hitting his head on a table on the way down and he's been fine. They bounce when they're little!
Make sure he's not disorientated or limp or throwing up.

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 09:06:42

Chances are he is fine, they are loads tougher than they seem. As long as he didn't fall onto a hard surface, land awkwardly or bang himself against any furntiture on the way he was probabaly more shocked than hurt. Do keep a close eye though in case he is sick, becomes drowsy or is very distressed. Think it happens to most of us, but you still feel awful.

Hoep he is ok.

littlestar Mon 15-Aug-05 09:08:30

he's 5 months.

Tortoiseshell - is he really going to fall down the stairs? I don't know if I can bear the stress and guilt.

He seems ok now, I will definitely keep a close eye on him. Thanks.

Kelly1978 Mon 15-Aug-05 09:10:36

my ds fell halway down an escalator when he was 2, accidents do happen. he got a bit bashed but he was fine, Children are surprisingly resilient.

SaintGeorge Mon 15-Aug-05 10:41:37

The advice about not letting him sleep is out of date - the current advice would be to let him sleep but ensure he is rousable. As long as he responds to stimulation, like a little pinch, you can let him sleep if he wants to. Sleep is often the best medicine for shock.

Check out this flowchart if you are unsure.

littlestar Mon 15-Aug-05 11:21:13

Just got back from casualty, ds is fine, thanks everyone for responding xx

Nemo1977 Mon 15-Aug-05 11:26:23

little star glad your ds is ok but yes he will fall down the stairs when he is older..he will also jump from the back of the couch, go down the slide via steps so bump all the way down, fall of couch, bed, table, chair...its constant...especially if your son is anything like mine..lol

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 12:43:27

Glad he's ok .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now