Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

please help - baby just fell out of bed

(59 Posts)
littlestar Mon 15-Aug-05 09:02:29

My baby just rolled off our bed while my back was turned for a second (he's never rolled that far before). He cried for a few minutes but seems ok now. I feel so terrible and don't know what to do. Should I take him to A&E, just in case?

desperatehousewife Mon 15-Aug-05 09:14:26

I bet if you did a poll on mumsnet most mums will have the same story. My child fell off the bed when he was a few weeks old. Onto carpet and was absolutely fine. If you are worried, give your doc a call and take him/her to the surgery to get checked out.

Don't blame yourself either - god, we've all done it!

sweetkitty Mon 15-Aug-05 09:17:04

yes i agree mine has fallen off the bed too, it freaks you out the first time, I'm sure he will be fine just keep an eye on him for the next few hours.

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:17:53

are there any bumps or anything?
Yes lots will have done it,but babies move, should not really be left on high stuff. You never know when they will do their first roll etc!!! I am sur he will be fine and cried cos of shock. Think a cuddle will surfice, but keep an eye on him.

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:18:32

sweetkitty...the first time...hope its the only time!!!!

anchovies Mon 15-Aug-05 09:19:43

Same thing happened to us, he was fine. Think problems are indicated when they don't stop crying or go drowsy. If you're worried you could take him to the docs.

Toothache Mon 15-Aug-05 09:19:43

My 2 have both done that....

Maybe we need a thread called "Has anyone's baby not rolled off the bed??"

Its very scary, but they tend be quite...er.... bouncy at that age. As long as he didn't land on his head.

peckarollover Mon 15-Aug-05 09:20:18

i dont think littlestar needs a lecture about babies moving when she is panicking because her baby has fallen off the bed really!

my dd fell off the bed when she was really tiny and i got the fright of my life but she was fine

take her to the docs for a once over if your at all worried to put your mind at rest

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:21:53

wasnt meant as a lecture!!
But I am shocked at how many have fallen off the bed!
So how many have fallen down the stairs?

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Aug-05 09:22:24

Warning signs:
*loss of consciousness or unusual drowsiness
vomiting
refusal of feeds

If none of the above you are officially ordered to stop worrying!!!

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Aug-05 09:22:50

p.s. vomiting wasn't meant to be in bold text!

Toothache Mon 15-Aug-05 09:24:02

Oh dear Mum2Some1 - You are being a bit curel here!

Will be as shocked at the number of kids that have fallen over as they learned to walk???? After all we really should be holding them 24hrs a day!

Toothache Mon 15-Aug-05 09:24:52

Terrible typos in that post, sorry!! Just a bit surprised by Mum2some1's post!!

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:26:42

toothache that is a really petty comment!!!
Of course kids fall over. but accidents can be avoided!! sorry you all seem to think its ok to leave a small child/baby unattended for any time on a high surface!!
I cant understand it, but then I dont seem to be aloud my opinion!
I know littlestar will be upset, so lets hope a lesson has been learned!

anchovies Mon 15-Aug-05 09:26:58

Agree toothache, not very supportive!

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Aug-05 09:31:24

Blimey, am I tripping or something. Have read and re-read mumtosomeone's post a few times and really can't see that it's so terrible!

Toothache Mon 15-Aug-05 09:31:49

Mum2some1 - !!!!!

Whats wrong with you today? FWIW it was the sofa that my dd fell from, and she laughed.
I really can't believe you are being like this when you don't even KNOW how high bed was, why she left the baby etc etc.

MONDAY MORNINGS EH!

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:32:40

you dont think my post is awful? thank you. was beginning to think I had sprung 2 heads or something!!!!

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Aug-05 09:33:15

I'll introduce a welcome diversion. My youngest is just 16 months and we removed the stair gates yesterday. Go on all - be scandalised. I'm a bit scandalised myself actually!

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:33:36

if its higher than the floor and baby is in danger then shouldnt be left...sorry!!!

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Aug-05 09:33:55

He's very good on the stairs though!

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:34:09

ok now I will shock you all...dont have stair gates!!!

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 09:34:42

what have I daid that is so wrong anyway?!!!

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Aug-05 09:35:18

mumtosomeone

You reckless mum!

Toothache Mon 15-Aug-05 09:35:54

HMC - It's just a bit dramtatic.... like Littlestar left the baby teetering on a high shelf over burning coals. Of course accidents can be avoided.... but they still happen and I really don't think Littlestar needed the waggling finger "tut tut tut" approach. It's a bit like saying "I told you so".... its non-constructive. That was all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now