Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

migraine

(5 Posts)
beachbummum Sat 13-Aug-05 20:41:52

a month a go i went to the doctor with severe headache and pains in stomach, i had to do a urine sample and had a urine infection.
had niggles and mild headache since. yesterday went to chemist as cant get a doctors appointment till wends. had a mega headache and felt sick and vision was blured. told it was a migrane and given MIGRALEVE took 4 tablets and then went to bed as still had it. woke up this morning and still have it. ive never had migranes befor are they always like this.

Lonelymum Sat 13-Aug-05 20:51:15

I've only ever had one and it was just a really really bad pain and I could only see out of the sides of my eyes IYSWIM. I don't remember it going on over a day, but a friend of my parents commonly gets migraines and they affect her for several days, poor woman.

Chandra Sat 13-Aug-05 21:14:40

It depends on what may be causing them. Unfortunately there are so many things that can trigger them that is almost impossible to know what to remove/stop in order for them to cease. I believe that if you are able to sleep while having one you may be having a very bad headache rather than a migraine, and yes they can last for days (my record is 12 days with constant headache). A migraine is very intense but again there are different degrees. I consider I have had a migraine when my eyes start weeping, I feel nauseas, se flashes, feel like removing all my teeth one by one. I normally shake for several hours after having one, actually the worst episode I had (when the peak of the migraine lasted for sefven hours) I was still shaking five days after the pain had stopped.

Chandra Sat 13-Aug-05 21:17:39

I think I didn't express myself correctly, 12 days for a bad headache I meant to say. As 12 days of migraine would have concinced me of throwing myself from a window

uwila Sun 14-Aug-05 16:15:31

There is a great migraine medication. Get your hands on it. It is actually a family of drugs called triptans. The most common is Sumatriptan. I prefer naratriptan. They work like magic. You need a prescription, but the NHS is quite willing to pay for it. Of for some reason your GP does not want to precribe it beg, plead, threaten. Most migrain sufferers (including me) swear by this stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now