Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

single vaccines for first round

(18 Posts)
chicca Thu 11-Aug-05 22:19:25

Don't want to start another debate on the question of vaccination but for one reason or another DS (13 months) has had no vaccinations at all. As we live on a farm we are now getting concerned about the possibilities of tetanus. We will be over in UK soon and am thinking about trying to get him a single tetanus jab.

Does anyone know if this is possible for babies (obviously it is for adults after an accident etc)

Has anyone else left it this late to give their child ALL the first round vaccinations?

chicca Thu 11-Aug-05 22:41:03

bump

Aragon Thu 11-Aug-05 22:49:35

Hi chicca,

I have looked around the net about this but cannot find any info regarding a seperate vaccine for infants/children. Normally (as you know) the vaccine given to infants is part of the "five in one" jab given at 2, 3 and 4 months. However, it is also given as a seperate vaccine to adults who are "at risk" of developing tetanus (after injury for example). Unfortunately I can't find anything which tells me whether this is the same dose (or a standard dose)given to everybody. It might be worth contacting one of the vaccine manufacurers for advice as they'd be able to tell you for definite.

Jimjams Thu 11-Aug-05 23:01:00

Would like to know the same. Ds2 and ds2 haven't had anything- but I would like them to have tetanus, and no way are they having 5 in1. The paediatric single tetanus was withdrawn when the 5 in 1 was introduced- I didn't want the boys having that because it contained thimerosal. There is a private doctor who says it is safe to give the adult, non-thimersal containing one. I haven't really investiagted yet- but someone on mumsnet has posted his deatils before so keep bumping.

I've kind of help on in the hope that they would introduce something. Children with epilepsy shouldn't received pertussis vaccine really. I know they give the primary course before anyone could have a dx, but I have no idea what they do with the boosters (unless they say the new 5 in 1 isn't contraindicated).

Keep bumping for info about the privatr jab- I need to look into it for ds2 really- I'd like him to have something when he starts school really.

Jimjams Thu 11-Aug-05 23:01:21

ds2 and ds3 I mean!

chicca Thu 11-Aug-05 23:34:15

bumping

chicca Fri 12-Aug-05 00:00:33

and again

chicca Fri 12-Aug-05 10:23:07

hello, bumping again - anyone with any thoughts...please

chicca Fri 12-Aug-05 17:05:02

Bumping again- bored Friday afternoon.........

ruty Fri 12-Aug-05 20:51:47

Message withdrawn

chicca Fri 12-Aug-05 21:54:20

Thanks Ruty. I feel scarily ill-informed about all of this. I will indeed CAT you.
Am I right in thinking that pertussis is whooping cough? Is there potential trouble with that vaccine then?

ruty Fri 12-Aug-05 23:57:38

if you are unhappy with vaccines then pertussis is the one to think about. Though they recently changed it to acellular form which means it is much much safer. I think most children tolerate them, but some children may be more vulnerable than others. i'm happy to give you the name of teh doc who offers Diftavax but he is quite far up north!

chicca Sat 13-Aug-05 21:46:24

I know some of you have some opinions about all this.

Come, share................

Alipiggie Sat 13-Aug-05 21:50:03

Have you tried contacting Direct Remedies - I used them for the single MMR know they're keen on mercury free vaccines. directremedies.com

Jimjams Sat 13-Aug-05 22:32:55

ruty- is the one your doc recommended mercury free? The licensing thing doesn;t bother me so I'm interested in the diftavax- will have to look into to. (Is it Dip/tet - diptheria is a bit pointless as we're UK stuck but I think it improves the effect of the tetanus jab).

ruty Mon 15-Aug-05 11:05:52

yes jimjams, he said it was mercury free, but i will be asking to see the insert all the same! I think it was called revaxis. the doc up north has been hauled over the hot coals for his insistence in giving single MMR jabs - the health authority tried to take him to court. He runs a patient service called good healthkeeping, which charges a small membership fee.

ruty Mon 15-Aug-05 11:07:42

diftavax is diptheria and tetanus, low dose diptheria - dT. are you thinking of having this jimjams? I was but then i thought i should maybe get IPV too because we have to travel to Eastern Europe.

ruty Mon 15-Aug-05 11:09:38

BTW jimjams is there any generally accepted age in alternative circles about when vaccines have less chance of interfering with development? I was considering starting at one, now he's nearly one i'm considering 18 months or two! Don't know what you think...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now