Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

daughter swallowed chewing gum

(21 Posts)
cutekids Wed 10-Aug-05 21:14:45

my seven year old-after much nagging about not doing it,but not being able to stop her taking it off her mate-swallowed her chewing gum today. I remember her doing this a long, long time ago and when i rang the ae ward the nurse told me it usually passes through. Is this correct? I've got to see the nurse in the morning about splinter in her foot. Should I mention the chewy?

WigWamBam Wed 10-Aug-05 21:16:48

It shouldn't hurt her; thousands of children have at some point swallowed their chewing gum and lived to tell the tale. The nurse is right; it'll pass through.

CarolinaMoon Wed 10-Aug-05 21:17:19

Always did when I swallowed it.

If it's just one piece (not loads of it) she'll be fine

bonym Wed 10-Aug-05 21:18:07

Don't think you need to worry. I remember being told as a kid not to swallow gum as it could wrap around my insides - it scared me enough to stop me from ever swallowing it! It will just pass through, as you've been told, and won't do any harm.

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Aug-05 21:19:08

It'll be fine, don't worry aobut it. I've swallowed it accidentally in the past.

cutekids Wed 10-Aug-05 21:21:52

Thanks for your reassurance everyone. Feel a bit better now!

moondog Wed 10-Aug-05 21:25:41

I always swallow mine (on the odd occasion when I partake.)

NannyL Thu 11-Aug-05 09:14:25

swallowing chewing gun causes NO PROBLEMS AT ALL cause our stomach acid easily breaks it down like normal food

moondog Thu 11-Aug-05 09:16:12

Don't think it does though,nanny. (Not that I've checked...)

WigWamBam Thu 11-Aug-05 09:18:51

Actually, from what I understand, chewing gum is almost impossible to break down, and so passes through whole. It does pass through though.

Flossam Thu 11-Aug-05 09:19:22

Used to swallow mine when the teacher looked like they might have noticed Still here though!

WigWamBam Thu 11-Aug-05 09:22:52

Link here says that although the body can't digest it, chewing gum passes through harmlessly.

NannyL Thu 11-Aug-05 11:43:25

here

does this work?

says how chewing stomach juices disolve chewing gum

CarolinaMoon Thu 11-Aug-05 15:25:15

ok, I'm obviously the only one prepared to admit this , but it doesn't break down - it actually comes out the other end. So there.

WigWamBam Thu 11-Aug-05 17:31:37

I can vouch for the fact that it doesn't break down either.

I hasten to add that this is something I remember from many, many years ago ...

WigWamBam Thu 11-Aug-05 17:36:18

NannyL, that link is from a sex magazine site. I would trust what they say about as far as I could spit it. Sorry, but it's not true.

cutekids Thu 11-Aug-05 21:43:42

Must admit, I was told years ago that the acid in the body breaks down the chewing gum but-obviously-many people dispute this.

Polgara2 Thu 11-Aug-05 21:47:46

When my friends dd (aged about 3.5/4) had her adenoids/tonsils done, the consultant told them to give her chewing gum. When asked about her swallowing it he just said don't worry it doesn't matter if she does.

cutekids Thu 11-Aug-05 21:49:59

Well he/she should know!

WigWamBam Fri 12-Aug-05 09:39:30

Complete failure to understand here ... why did he tell them to give her chewing gum?

alexsmum Fri 12-Aug-05 09:41:11

doesn't chewing gum wrap around your lungs and kill you if you swallow it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now