Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how soon after giving birth can i have a smear test?

(14 Posts)
hoxtonchick Tue 09-Aug-05 20:35:37

dd is 6 weeks old. i need to have a smear test, & am also going to have a coil fitted in the near future. does anyone know if i can have both done at the same time, or do i have to leave my cervix for longer to settle down after giving birth? i remember i had the same timing issue after i had ds, but it was 3.5 years ago & my mind is a blank. tia.

franke Tue 09-Aug-05 20:36:14

I had one at 6 weeks.

motherinferior Tue 09-Aug-05 20:37:34

I think you have to leave it - although I was supposed to have one just after having DD1 and only got out of it by bursting into horrified tears when they advanced towards me with that vile DIY thingywossname. Seriously, I don't think your cells are back to normal yet.

Coil I don't know. Never been able to face them.

Flossam Tue 09-Aug-05 20:39:19

had mine at 6 weeks. ow.

Magscat Tue 09-Aug-05 20:44:57

GP advised 3 months so that's what I did

Twiglett Tue 09-Aug-05 20:58:56

6 months I thought

Tipex Tue 09-Aug-05 20:59:49

yes you can have both at the same time but it would have to be smear first. best to wait 12 weeks postnatally for a smear. time to wait for a coil depends on a/ whether you are breastfeeding as the oestrogen lack can make the lining a bit thin and thus more likely to perforate (slightly) and b/the experience of the fitter.

Kidstrack2 Tue 09-Aug-05 21:02:10

They do your smear and fit the coil at your 6wk postnatal check in my area!

Tipex Tue 09-Aug-05 21:03:41

Kidstrack2, this is often doen as its better to do A smear than NO smear and often women wont come back again but will tend to turn up for their postnatal check!

Kidstrack2 Tue 09-Aug-05 21:08:31

Oh I see, sounds sensible then. That reminds me I really must book a smear!

hoxtonchick Tue 09-Aug-05 21:09:44

thanks all. quite a range of opinions. am going to try & get the coil this week as we're away for a couple of weeks from the weekend & i really don't want to get pregnant (i'm breastfeeding so it's unlikely, but still, not worth the risk), so will ask the dr/nurse who does that. i'm already a few months overdue for the smear, but have never had any problems so imagine i'm ok to leave it for a few more months.

motherinferior Tue 09-Aug-05 21:11:10

HC, you are such a slapper. Holidays and sex at six weeks.

hoxtonchick Tue 09-Aug-05 21:26:27

had to make sure everything was still working MI .

kid Tue 09-Aug-05 21:35:14

HC - look here

and get to bed, you said you were having an early night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now