Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.


(5 Posts)
PrettyCandles Tue 09-Aug-05 20:21:11

Ds tells me that he sometimes gets a sharp stabbing pain in his penis. It sounds to me like the begining of a UTI. Do I need to take him to the GP immediately, or are these things ever self-limiting? Also, I know that cranberry juice is good for UTIs, but is there anything else I can do or give him to help?


Flossam Tue 09-Aug-05 20:25:41

Lots of water. Lots and lots. One teaspoon of bicarb of soda in a glass of water. If he has any tea/coffee/coke avoid. See how he is tomorrow afternoon. You could take him to see the pharmacist, they might be able to help. The GP will probably give Trimithropin (sp)in the first instance, which is an antibacterial, not a antibiotic, so not to worry if you do need to go. Sorry you have something else on your list of worries. Hope he feels better soon. xx

PrettyCandles Tue 09-Aug-05 20:35:54

Should he drink the bicarb or apply it to his bits?

He's not a great drinker at the best of times. For the last week I've been trying to get him to drink more because he's a bit constipated, and he refuses, even though he understands why he needs to drink. Men!

spacecadet Tue 09-Aug-05 20:43:03

he should drink it prettycandles, sounds like hes not drinking enough for sure, he needs to drink and drink and drink, but still go to gp.

PrettyCandles Tue 09-Aug-05 20:46:53

Time to get the turkey baster out then. Hopefully he'll still find it funny and agree to 'take his medicine' that way - it worked last year!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: