Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

diprobase

(7 Posts)
fredly Tue 09-Aug-05 16:52:15

I've been plastering my dd with diprobase for a long time now but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Do you have any experience of it ? my hv swears by it but I'm not convinced. I combine it with oilatum in the bath and the cream. The only thing that worked were antibiotics but obviously I can't keep using them all the time. Is aveeno better ?

Sparks Tue 09-Aug-05 17:00:24

You just need to keep trying and find an emollient that works for your dd. Everyone is different. My dd has Cetraben or Eucerin cream and Balneum in the bath. Oilatum actually made her worse. It might be worth a visit to the GP, who will probably know more than the HV, and then you can get things on prescription. GL

fredly Tue 09-Aug-05 17:09:47

I did go to my gp, an dhe was not interested. I might stop oilatum and try balneum. Are cetraben and eucerin on prescription only ?

Monstersmum Tue 09-Aug-05 22:19:09

I assume we are talking excema? If so do you know the cause? I know some cases are hard but my DS was allergic to dairy. As soon as I cut that out his skin cleared up. 2 years on and he can have some but too mcuh results in itchiness.

IMHO UK docs seem to be reluctant to admit to allergic excema.

F

nappybaglady Tue 09-Aug-05 22:23:09

Aveeno

Massively recommended on MN and RL

Great stuff

HV may have samples. GP can prescribe it

Pixiefish Tue 09-Aug-05 22:23:46

I find that different emollients work and then seem to stop working so i go on to something else and then back to ones I've used before. I like doublebase.

Please don't be insulted but 2 important things that i do and have been told is good. 1. obviously and I know you do this but i neer touch dd's excema without washing my hands. 2. not so obvious- don't rub the cream in- th reason for this is that you rub bacteria in under the hair follicles. You should gently 'stroke' the cream onto the affeced area

Chandra Tue 09-Aug-05 22:29:26

Diprobase is, I would say, a very good cream but probably with a short lived effect (if your child has severe eczema). When DS was using it we needed to apply tons of cream (all his body plastered in cream eight times a day to keep the skin OK). We were then prescribed Eucerin 10% urea and it was a revelation, we only need to apply it twice a day. You can get it in prescription if you can convince your GP but you can also get it over the counter in Boots (£10 aprox, but as you use less it ends up costing the same or less than Diprobase).

Having said that, even if you change creams, keep some diprobase on hand, as that is the only cream that doesn't sting when the skin is cracked. Once that area of the skin is fine go back to Eucerin to maintain it.

Aveeno is also very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now