Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OPV question for jimjams

(3 Posts)
ruty Tue 09-Aug-05 12:44:18

sorry to call on your`expertise yet`again jimjams! DS will be 12 months when we go to the Balkans next month. He is unvaxed due to health probs [please no criticism from anyone else!] My question is, theses countries still use OPV. Can it persist in the water supply? I'm thinking about baths, and about swimming in lakes or the sea. I don't know how high the standard of water treatment is in the Balkans. I don't know if he is at risk of catching polio from bathing, either from the normal water supply or in the sea or lakes. Any advice appreciated!

Jimjams Tue 09-Aug-05 12:55:58

I'm not sure what they use tbh. However the risk from OPV was always very very low. Unless someone was receiving steroids or something that would affect the immune system I think the risk was regarded as negligible.

ruty Tue 09-Aug-05 12:58:56

sorry, i didn't phrase that very well. yes they all do use OPV - i just don't know if it persists in the water. Hopefully he'll be ok, may avoid swimming in lakes tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now