Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS

(8 Posts)
Nickw Sat 21-Jul-01 16:32:59

My son was recently prescribed a course of Augmentin antibiotics to clear an infection. It was a few days later when I noticed that it contained ASPARTAME. Unfortunately I have an allergic reaction to this artificial sweetener and it is becoming increasingly difficult to purchase any cordials or fruit squashes to name but a few items that do not contain it.
Would it be a reasonable idea to make patients aware of the additives before dispensing the medicines as an allergic reation may be deemed as being a reaction to penicillin not the additive. It also brings to mind that the increase in CHILDHOOD DIABETES may be down to this increasing use of artificial sweeteners and insufficient amounts of natural sweeteners i.e. glucose to produce insulin naturally? Any thoughts??

Robinw Sun 22-Jul-01 06:33:07

message withdrawn

Marina Mon 23-Jul-01 08:37:54

Nickw, how annoying for you.
We don't like aspartame or saccharin in our house either, not because of allergy, but just because I don't like unnecessary chemicals in what we eat/drink. So we try and stick to stuff that is naturally sweetened (such as the sugary Calpol, it's not like he drinks a bottle day!), organic squashes and fruit juice etc, and just eat less of it. I feel artificial sweeteners are a food manufacturers' excuse to get us to eat more processed food. Give me plain Rachel's Dairy with a bit of honey in it any day over a no-fat, no-sugar, additive-laden "yogurt". And what you say about a potential link with childhood diabetes is really worrying.

Bron Tue 24-Jul-01 09:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Suew Tue 24-Jul-01 10:59:57

Oh Marina - Rachel's Dairy. The only yoghurt I have ever actually enjoyed. Mouth is salivating at the thought.

Only 19 days til I can get to Sainsburys again.... In fact, I could even try to get an internet order to greet me when I land......

Nickw Sat 28-Jul-01 21:04:58

ROBINW GOOD IDEA TO START INCREASING AWARENESS OF XYLITOL BUT NEED MORE GOOD INFO FIRST. ANYTHING TO SLOW DOWN THE USE OF ASPARTAME ETC.

Robinw Sat 04-Aug-01 07:43:39

message withdrawn

QCaitlin18 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:14:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: