Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

MRSA and visiting patients

(24 Posts)
gigglinggoblin Sun 07-Aug-05 22:40:41

is my great uncles birthday tomorrow. all other family members went to see him at weekend (he is in a nursing home). have just called my mum to see if she wants to come to see him tomorrow and she wont. she has also said i shouldnt go cos i will have to take ds3 and my uncle has MRSA.

from what i know, most people carry MRSA anyway, they are just not infected (sorry if that doesnt make sense, have had a few drinks). but now she has got me worried

but on the other hand there is a lonely old man in a nursing home sho will spend his birhday alone cos everyone else thinks they have done their duty

do i go?

misdee Sun 07-Aug-05 22:42:01

i think you can only get MRSA through an open wound. correct me if i am wrong.

gigglinggoblin Sun 07-Aug-05 22:44:42

that is also what i thought misdee. however my uncle picked it up in hospital - he had not had surgery and didnt have any gaping wounds. ds3 is an adventurous 14 month old and has loads of little scrapes (and will probably pick up a few more tomorrow). i dont really know enough about it to say its perfectly safe, but also not enough to say it isnt and the thought of him on his own on his birthday is

MistressMary Sun 07-Aug-05 22:44:49

Yep go and see him.

misdee Sun 07-Aug-05 22:45:48

do they have precaustion u can take? can someone watch your ds3 whilst u go in?

spacecadet Sun 07-Aug-05 22:46:05

most people carry mrsa harmlessly on their skin,it only poses a problem to people who have had surgery especially vascular surgery or those who are immuno compromised.

essbee Sun 07-Aug-05 22:46:21

Message withdrawn

spacecadet Sun 07-Aug-05 22:48:21

people can pick it up easily and carry it, however it only becomes dangerous if it is transmited to someone who has had surgery, their immune systyem cant fight it and the MRSA gets into the bloodstrteam through the wound

misdee Sun 07-Aug-05 22:49:12

use the alochol gel if provided, else scrub hands and forearms well. just the usual stuff as you enter a ward really.

gigglinggoblin Sun 07-Aug-05 22:49:33

i think i am going to go. none of his other visitors have picked it up, and all they say is to not share eating/drinking utensils. interestingly my mother did not offer to have ds3 while i go, despite being off work tomorrow. thanks for back up

spacecadet Sun 07-Aug-05 22:51:17

depends on the home whether it will have spirigel, but if it does make sure you rub hands n entering and leaving.

MistressMary Sun 07-Aug-05 22:51:59

I had a client with mrsa and she still had family come to visit her.
I hope your visit will cheer him up tomorrow.

spacecadet Sun 07-Aug-05 22:52:08

fwiw, despite working on a surgical ward where every other patient had MRSA, when i asked to be swabbed when having dd2 i didnt carry it.

RTKangaMummy Sun 07-Aug-05 22:54:22

My DAD had it several years ago and we visited him and then he was sent home and still had it BUT was on strong drugs

Just didn't touch the ound and when nurses came to change dressings did barrier nursing

IMHO go and wish him happy birthday

BTW my dad doesn't have it anymore so you can recover from it

RTKangaMummy Sun 07-Aug-05 22:55:29

meant WOUND

gigglinggoblin Sun 07-Aug-05 22:58:46

this is really encouraging, and that is great to know rtkm. i dont know why i listen to my mum sometimes, she does mean well but panics about nothing sometimes. i suppose she is just worried about me taking a 'vulnerable' baby in there. he probably picks up alsorts himself anyway! thats sorted then

RTKangaMummy Sun 07-Aug-05 23:00:57

could you time it with nap time so DS3 is sleeping in buggy or at least having snack in buggy for part of the time

spacecadet Sun 07-Aug-05 23:01:19

GGG, anybody in the street could carry MRSA, and you wouldnt know, its of no consequence if you are a normal healthy person, please dont worry, go and visit and take the children, your great uncle will be delighted to see you all.

RTKangaMummy Sun 07-Aug-05 23:05:12

was really thinking more of keeping him occupied rather than the MRSA

IYSWIM

gigglinggoblin Sun 07-Aug-05 23:06:22

spacecadet, you are entirely right. rtkm, that would make the whole visit easier anyway! great idea! feel much happier now, thanks all

RTKangaMummy Sun 07-Aug-05 23:08:08

RTKangaMummy Mon 08-Aug-05 22:19:18

How did it go????

gigglinggoblin Wed 10-Aug-05 10:22:06

was good thanks rtkm, im glad i went. he was a bit down but im not really surprised, he hates being in a home but there isnt an alternative sadly. ds3 sat in his pram for a bit and munched on some strawberries i brought, then a few of the ladies noticed there was a baby in the room and much excitement followed! he got two biscuits, both from the same lady (i think she forgot she had already given him one) and then he spent half an hour charging up and down the room, chattering away to random people. think it cheered everyone up actually!

RTKangaMummy Wed 10-Aug-05 19:43:47

Well done sounds like you made the right choice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: