Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arrrrgh the dentist says I have gum disease.

(35 Posts)
specialsmasher Thu 27-May-10 18:01:21

and I may even lose teeth sad

He says it will help if I do x, y and z, but I have been told that I had early gum disease before and have frantically been trying to do these things for ages - so I don't know what to do, but feel like it would be the end of the world if I actually lose my teeth - I know there are worse things, but this is the one facing me...

I have gum pockets, apparently.

He also informed me that the last dentist I saw put in a filling which has damaged the tooth next to it - as if I needed that on top!

Really feeling down about it all, and don't know what I expect to gain by posting, but just thought I would sad

Bonsoir Thu 27-May-10 18:03:02

What does he tell you to do? IMVHO, a good electric toothbrush with the appropriate head, dental floss and interdental brushes and very good toothpaste (none of that Colgate or Signal rubbish) go a long, long way...

specialsmasher Thu 27-May-10 18:04:33

I do all of those things, and have been for ages.

What is very good toothpaste? I use Sensodyne.

Bonsoir Thu 27-May-10 18:06:21

I like Elgydium a lot.

specialsmasher Thu 27-May-10 18:06:57

I'll check it out, thanks!

whoingodsnameami Thu 27-May-10 18:09:16

Interdental brushes are fantastic, I developed gum disease when I was pregnant with dts, ( something to do with a hoemanol imbalance apparently) my teeth seperated rapidly while I was carrying, then stopped immediately when I gave birth, I have to have them scaled and polished every 6 months, I use an electric toothbrush and interdental brushes, no more damaged has accured in 6 years. Dont worry too much about it, if you did'nt notice any change with your teeth then it is not likely to be very advanced gum disease, you cant do much about the damage but you can prevent further damage by a good cleaning regime.

catinthehat2 Thu 27-May-10 18:09:20

what were x y & z exactly?

if you explain, maybe someone can help you do it better

Anna - "none of that Colgate or Signal rubbish" is a bit vague as well

A few specifics needed to save SS's teeth..

whoingodsnameami Thu 27-May-10 18:11:13

Cosodyl mouthwash is aparently very very good for gum disease, but the downfall is it stains your teeth, so I dont use that, I use listerine.

CantSupinate Thu 27-May-10 18:11:38

Pah, gum disease isn't so bad; you can reverse gum disease. You can't grown new tooth enamel . DH has no fillings but is always told (when he visits dentist every 4 years or so) that he has early onset gum disease, which disappears within a month after he pulls his act together.

I will end up losing many more teeth to multiple fillings and root canals and post-treatment problems than DH will ever lose to gum disease.

bellavita Thu 27-May-10 18:11:53

Ooooh mine were brought back from the dead - fret not!

I had gum disease and I have pockets. My dentist referred me to the dental hospital. The lovely lady there over the course of two visits (2 weeks apart) jet washed underneath my gums (one side at a time) and I had to take a strong course of antibiotics too.

I bought a braun electric toothbrush and have never looked back. I use the interdental brushes every day - different sizes and also floss.

My gums are loads and loads better, no bleeding whatsoever anymore.

specialsmasher Thu 27-May-10 18:15:27

I have been experiencing pain on one side, which I thought was teeth-related but apparently no it's the gums. There has been bone loss apparently, which just sounds dreadful.
I have been using inter-dental brushes (tepe) for years - particularly between the teeth which are now near where the gums are worst.

The dentist said to use an electric toothbrush (which I do) with a rotating head (which it has) and to floss, and use the inter-dental brushes. The reason I am really panicking about this is because it has gone from early to proper gun disease, even though I was armed with all this knowledge. He says I need to be more vigorous with my brushing, but I have caused gum recession before by being too vigorous...

specialsmasher Thu 27-May-10 18:16:58

Thanks for your hopeful comments. I really feel desperate about the thought of having to have dentures -

Trying hard to feel more hopeful...

Bonsoir Thu 27-May-10 18:19:48

Have you actually had lessons from a dental hygienist in tooth care? That might help.

catinthehat2 Thu 27-May-10 18:27:26

Hygienist (like a live version of ScottishMummy) ordered me to poke through the bloody pulp of my gums with Tepes and floss. She said it would take 3 or 4 days for them to stop bleeding - which they did - but I really had to get up there with the floss etc.

As for tooth pain, if you've got receding gums, that exposure is painful as well. You could Google xylitol and Dr Ellie and have a read through her site. SHe is keen on multiple mouthwashes with fluoride. Might help the pain if your teeth aren't sound.

Bonsoir Thu 27-May-10 18:33:51

"(like a live version of ScottishMummy)" = bullying and abusive?

catinthehat2 Thu 27-May-10 18:51:41

No way! grin Tough on crappy teeth and tough on the causes of crappy teeth! I have lovely solid fangs now thanks to her.

catinthehat2 Thu 27-May-10 18:58:42

Not just lessons, what about 1/2 hour every few months with a hygienist?

Hygienists are not there for decoration, a good one is a tooth lifesaver.

Suddenly realised Specialsmasher might not even be seeing one.

specialsmasher Thu 27-May-10 19:39:30

Thanks for all help - got to go out now but will check in later, especially regarding hygienist...

choclab Thu 27-May-10 20:17:57

I to have had this , my dentist recommended def a electric tooth brush , i also see my hyginenist every 3 months (expensive ) but worth getting it under control as they can reach places i cant ...she also told me to try a mouth wash .
i now floss every day and now (taken a while ) my gums are so much better ...

but something have to keep on top of or will get worse again ...

i would go see your hygenist and get some advice from her/him they are really good ,

scottishmummy Thu 27-May-10 21:13:56

dearie me Anna,unwarranted grumps about others reveal your deep rooted malasie. but if projection makes you feel better,then so be it

and hey denial isnt just river in egypt

catinthehat2 Thu 27-May-10 22:50:23

In fact I visualise this lady whenever I see you around smile

scottishmummy Thu 27-May-10 22:53:22

you visualise anna in paris. how intriguing

catinthehat2 Thu 27-May-10 22:57:38

No you loon, my hygienist, the lady who scooped out cave litter and replaced it with stalagmites and stalactites

scottishmummy Thu 27-May-10 23:00:43

oh had it down as complex freudian fantasy.drooling about anna in starchy whites instructing
"W-I-D-E-R"
"D-E-E-P-E-R"

catinthehat2 Thu 27-May-10 23:03:40

shock

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now