Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds 18mths. Suddenly cross-eyed- is this normal ?

(13 Posts)
RachD Fri 05-Aug-05 13:06:33

My ds, 18 mths, has suddenly become slightly cross eyed. Is this normal ? Can it change back again ?

jalopy Fri 05-Aug-05 13:08:32

If you can see your child has a squint, even if it is fleeting, it's worth getting it checked out at the opticians. They are able to assess them well at this age.

HappyMumof2 Fri 05-Aug-05 13:47:38

Message withdrawn

RachD Fri 05-Aug-05 15:01:38

Jalopy, upon your posting, I rushed ds to the opticians. They said that they were unable to help me & that I would have to be referred to the hospital by my doctor.
Rang my hv, no one available until wednesday !!!
Useless !

HappyMumof2 Fri 05-Aug-05 15:04:43

Message withdrawn

RachD Fri 05-Aug-05 15:08:56

Happymum - they refused to look at him.
By the way, I am sorry to sound ignorant but is a squint & being cross-eyed, the same thing ?

HappyMumof2 Fri 05-Aug-05 15:11:38

Message withdrawn

RachD Fri 05-Aug-05 15:15:15

When you look at him, straight in the eyes, his left eye looks straight ahead, and his right eye looks slightly to the right.
Both my dh and I only spotted it today. I am sure that it was not this bad, until recently, today even.

HappyMumof2 Fri 05-Aug-05 15:32:43

Message withdrawn

jalopy Fri 05-Aug-05 15:43:10

Sorry you had problems with getting your son assessed. Wasn't the case for me.
Anyway, it would be a good idea to get him checked out(don't run out the door right now!) Visiting the G.P is a good starting point and if need be, they will refer to the opthalmologist at your local hospital.

Chuffed Fri 05-Aug-05 15:59:03

Rach is he tired today? I had a lazy eye as a child, had 2 surgeries but it did get worse when I was tired or concentrating really hard on something.
Worth a check, my mum and dad didn't know until one day I was being read a story and mum pointed to the picture and I said something like which one I can see two.

RachD Fri 05-Aug-05 20:01:51

Mumof2 - ,my mistake, when left eye is straight, right eye goes IN.
No bumps recently.
Jalopy- I have already booked a GP appointment for monday.
Chuffed - not just that he is tired. Dh & I have re-thought & realised that it has been a bit 'squ-wiffy' for the last few days - & then we noticed a dramatic difference today.

HappyMumof2 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:03:05

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now