This is page 1 of 1 (This thread has 16 messages.)
Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
Had similar prob with my DS, but he banged teeth crooked (lots of blood) rather than knocked them out. Phoned Dr for advice and they had a special 'community dentist' who specialises in seeing people and children with other health problems, so was quite used to seeing ones with heart probs. Saw us as an emergency within an hour. All dentists are aware of endocariatus (sp)and can prescrib anti-bios.
I would get to Dr or dentist ASAP, just for peace of mind if nothing else. If bleeding and untreated obviously high risk of infection. Even if bleeding has now stopped, potential source of infection did exist, so I would sugget being cautious.
Try phoning his specialist at the hospital (GP would probably want to do that anyway before prescribing). As Noddy says, not all heart condits need anti-bios before dental work, and each individual is different, with regards type of anti-bios, recommended doseage etc. These type of accidents happen all the time with kids and I'm sure they should give you advice over the phone.
Btw, my dentist is v good and is checking my DS every 2 months at moment since the accident. She said a sign of infection would be obvious distress of child and white spots on gum. HTH & good luck.
sorry had to go out, he is four, he is with his father, father wont take him, i don't get him back till monday. could anything serious happen in that amont of time, i.e. to i have to just go and get him
and a huge huge huge moan that his bloody father has him for the first time and knocks his sodding tooth out, incompetent bell end
Oh dear, sorry to hear all of this. What a difficult situation with his father as well. His father probably feels terrible? I was looking after Ds when it happened to me and I felt terrible, even though it wasn't my fault.
Glad he's being seen quickly. Getting anti-bios in the meantime though before the op? They were going to do the same for my DS at the hosp, but luckily his teeth came back down again (crooked as you like though) so he may have got away with it. Watching brief to see if situation changes.
Don't want to alarm you and EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT but Dentist said it was v difficult to decide whether to take teeth out as this would mean general anastetic and the risk of the op (partic with heart condition) vs the risk of leaving teeth as they were and possible infection. She had to discuss with cardiologist the pros and cons, before deciding what to do.
i get my boy back this afternoon, taking him to my dentist on thursday and going through the procedure in my own way. rang the childrens hospital and they said no antibiotics unless he became in pain, so i feel like it is taking a bit too much of a risk and hope it will be sorted out as soon as possible.
As far as i know, i.e. with second hand info off the McTitwitch he definetly needs theatre and a general