Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What sort of cough mixture?

(7 Posts)
WigWamBam Wed 03-Aug-05 21:36:45

My dd has a nasty cough, it's productive but not chesty - she seems to be bringing phlegm up from her throat. The pharmacist says that cough syrup for a chesty cough won't help, but neither will syrup for a tickly cough.

Any recommendations for something I can give her? She sounds like a 40-a-day smoker.

Twiglett Wed 03-Aug-05 21:38:20

steam inhalation??

don't know how old she is .. run a hot shower .. shut bathroom door so it gets all steamy and take her in for half an hour

WigWamBam Wed 03-Aug-05 21:40:47

She's 4, we've tried her with steam but it hasn't helped much. When she first started with it it sounded very like croup, which was why I tried the steam, but no joy.

Lonelymum Wed 03-Aug-05 21:45:00

Tixylix do all sorts of cough mixtures for all sorts of coughs and ages. I find the one for a tickly cough quite good actually (even though I know honey and lemon would be just as effective if I could only get my children to drink it). But a productive cough, such as your dd has, really should not be suppressed. Why do you want to give her something? Is it keeping her awake at night? My ds3 has just had something like this although it started as a dry tickly cough and I found Tixylix great for getting him off to sleep. But since it has become productive, he hasn't been coughing at night and there hasn't been any reason to give him anything.

WigWamBam Wed 03-Aug-05 21:54:56

I want to give her something because it's keeping her awake, and because it's hurting her when she coughs. The phlegm is also making her feel sick.

Lonelymum Wed 03-Aug-05 21:59:04

Ah poor thing. It is so stressful being a mother at times like this isn't it? Have you tried any of the Tixylix products? Perhaps you could limit your use of them to just nights or something, and then you would know you aren't prolonging the cough. That is what I always worry about when suppressing a productive cough.

WigWamBam Wed 03-Aug-05 22:39:51

That's the problem, isn't it. The only stuff I could find was either tickly or chesty, and neither really seems quite right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now