Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa

(3 Posts)
coveredinsnot Thu 13-May-10 18:59:30

I was diagnosed with this today, and wondered if any other people on here have it, and if so if you can share any good tips for coping with it? For those who have no idea what I'm on about, read this: http://dermatology.about.com/cs/infectionbacteria/a/hidradenitis.htm

coveredinsnot Thu 13-May-10 19:04:05

Sorry, here's a better link

Idontknowhowshedoesit Sun 19-Jun-11 20:06:54

Hi Coveredinsnot - I have suffered from hidradenitis superativa for a number of years now (I am 46) during which time it had become increasingly worse - it is a hideous and painful condition no matter where or how it manifests itself, and this will vary from individual to individual. There is no known cure. Even those who resort to surgery will have recurrence after a while. You are not alone and it is far more common than you might think, sadly many do not report it as they are too embarrassed.

Having tried various antibiotics (Clindamycin is the most commonly prescribed one for HS) in vain, I consulted various support forums and found a posting from a GP in Wales who recommended a combination of Clindamycin and Rifampicin and said it had worked with the majority of his patients.

I had an appointment with a Dermatologist (there are few who seem to know what to do for this condition and there is little research underway unfortunately) and I suggested this combination therapy. She agreed I could try it and, honestly, after 3-4 weeks my lesions and boils (which were all in my groin and pubic/genital area) competely cleared and I have remained clear for almost 3 months now - it is heaven!! I am still taking the antibiotics and am fearful of stopping them now, but will discuss further with the dermatologist on my follow up appointment soon.

Strongly suggest you discuss this option with your GP.
Best of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now