Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Medised

(9 Posts)
calebsmummy Wed 03-Aug-05 17:22:29

Just a quickie cos I'm cooking dinner and it's bound to burn.

Ds3 is 7 and a half months and has a cold which sort of lingers in his throat. He has this quite a lot and the doctors always say it is not on his chest. Also he seems well enough in himself so I am not too worried.

Anyway, I have given him a spoon of medised for 3 evenings running this week as I find it helps to clear up the gunk enough for him to sleep well. He hasn't had it at any other time or any other medication.

I just don't know whether to give it to him tonight or not, as I have done for 3 nights and on the bottle it says don't give for more than 3 days without consulting a doctor.

What do you think, should I or not? He isn't unwell as such, just is very restless at night due to coughing etc if it's not given.

Tommy Wed 03-Aug-05 17:50:49

I've given it for longer tbh, a cough doesn't always clear up in 3 days. If you took him to a GP, they would probably tell you to carry on with what you're doing.
Just my opinion of course - I am not a doctor!!!

Donbean Wed 03-Aug-05 17:53:05

I think it means that if symptoms persist see a Dr.
You know, so that you seek advice sooner if you are needing to give him medicine for more than a few days.
It sounds like you have been to the docs though. I would give it to him then take him back for a check over again if you are worried tomorow.
Out of curiosity, how do you get it down your ds, mine gagged and almost vomited when i gave it to him as a baby. (have you tasted it, its yeuch )

calebsmummy Wed 03-Aug-05 18:26:36

Thanks ladies. I will take him back to the doctors tomorrow if it is still there, but I know what they will say

Donbean, I add it to his bedtime milk and get it into him that way. He gags if I try to give it any other way too. Seems to work.

I don't actually like giving him anything really and, but I figured he needs to sleep in order to get better so have been. I just feel like he is a little young to be giving these things to and that is why I have only given it at bedtime. That's why I was worried about giving it for a 4th night. But he really doesn't settle at all if I don't give it. I left it the night before last and ended up giving it at 11 as he just kept waking up constantly coughing

I will give it tonight and see how he is tomorrow.

Anyone elses little ones keep getting these colds? I don't think he has a cough, but the cold keeps making him cough when he is lying down. Even tilting the cot doesn't help. The doctor has said there is a virus going around this year which seems to last for ages. The cold isn't even a streaming one, if you know waht I mean, it just sort of stays in his throat making him sound chesty. I know it's not on his chest as he would be ill with it.

Oh I just like my children to be well allof the time, much less worry.

Oh and meant to ask, amyone else got any other methods which work?

calebsmummy Wed 03-Aug-05 19:37:05

Chickened out and just gave him half a spoonful, but he seems to have settled better. Has woken once, but settled down again really quickly. Just hope he is better soon, poor little chap

calebsmummy Wed 03-Aug-05 19:43:10

Spoke too soon !! He just woke up again. I think I'm going to be geting my exercise this evening, running up and down the stairs.

jamboure Wed 03-Aug-05 20:13:02

god i swear by medised it's fab

serah Wed 03-Aug-05 20:53:39

if you bottlefeed, try adding medised to a bottle - it tastes really nice!

Tommy Wed 03-Aug-05 22:06:08

do you have any baby olbas oil? That's quite good if you put it in a bowl of boiling water in his room. Also, you could try putting a pillow under the mattress so his head is slightly higher.
Really feel for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now